News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

AC Compressor Internal workings question

Started by KYBlueOval, 2022-06-28 04:51

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I have ZERO knowledge regarding the internal design, function etc. of a AC Compressor, so I turn to the Forum , in hopes that someone can educate me and answer my question.
My Ranchero has a 351W engine from a '95 F-150, if it matters. I'm using the Ford factory bracket that mounts the AC Compressor and the PS Pump.
The AC Compressor I'm using is a 4 Seasons 58581. The mounting configuration for this compressor is such that it will only mount in one position.

With the compressor on my workbench, the two ports (when looking at the compressor from the front) , are pointing at approximately 9 O'clock.
When the compressor is installed, the Discharge port points to approximately a low, 10 O'clock, and the Suction port points to approximately 11 O'clock
Connecting 90* elbows has these two hoses pointing in a strange upward direction, that looks odd and I believe will result in interference with the hood,when closed. I should add, that the hoses will be going to the driver side inner fender.
Having said all of that here is the question. Can the Compressor Back Plate, that has the two ports,be removed and clocked,in a clockwise direction, so that the two ports are facing towards the driver side inner fender?
I've spoken with Vintage Air and they can custom build two hard lines that MIGHT solve the problem, or I can purchase from V.A. some aluminum tube and try bending my own. But clocking the back of the compressor,IF doable,would make life easier.
So, can the back plate be removed and rotated?
Thanks.
John

lalessi1

I had the same issue with how the compressor mounted on my car. I am using CVF brackets for A/C, PS, and alternator. I looked into clocking the back of my compressor, a Sanyo 508 style, so I got a service manual online. in doing so I realized that CVF actually had designed the mounting position wrong, the oil fill plug was on top instead of the side. The rear of that compressor could not be rotated (if I remember right) so I was able to rotate the compressor 90 degrees, get a longer belt, and a different adjustment rod. Maybe there are different Ford brackets for passenger cars?
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Wish I could remember what I did. So many years ago. My complete engine is also a '95, but the 4.6. I'm wondering if Ford could have/would have/ used the same A/C compressor throughout their line. I seem to remember an S1 designation (not even positive it was for the compressor), and trying to route the lines in a different direction (maybe 180* from OEM?). I think the OEM routed them to the back, but our crossmembers are in the way of doing that, so I routed them to the front, using the Ford Springloc connectors Seems like I found something online that did that. Maybe @ "Cold Hose.com".....?
That Cold Hose has tons of A/C stuff, fittings, hoses, adapters, etc. Check them out.
Where is your compressor located? Mine is bottom passenger side.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

After many phone calls, I finally obtained an 800 number for the Four Seasons Tech line. I posed my question about rotating the back cover and was told that it can be done on some compressors, BUT NOT on the compressor I have. Case closed!
 I ordered some straight lengths of aluminum tubes from Vintage Air and will bend them to fit. If it works, I'll post some photos and details. The parts should be delivered tomorrow.
John

RICH MUISE

I used a few of their aluminum tubes....worked great for me. I was using them coming off the condenser where there were a number of tight bends to get around everything. 
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

OUTLAW

If a compressor off a 95 460 has the same bolt pattern, it exits to the rear. Vintage air has bolt on adapters...

KYBlueOval

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind should my tube bending not work out.
John