News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rebuild 272

Started by thomasso, 2023-06-25 00:54

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasso

Need some opinions. I have a complete 57 272 engine and am contemplating rebuilding it,also have the recently rebuilt Fordomatic.  Is this thing worth rebuilding and is there a market to recover my money.  Pricing rebuild kits and machine work I can see about 2K in expenses  For some reason Y block parts are very expensive and even more for the 272. I actually have no use for the engine, just bored.  Engine is complete down to even starter and generator.  Is it a stupid idea. Tom.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

mustang6984

For what it is worth...my opinion is that there is ALWAYS a market for a freshly rebuilt engine ready to run. And with all the rest of what you have to partners with it, I'd say it would be a gem for someone.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

Whats nice about the 272 is it can be bored and use standard size 292 pistons. A 292 would be easier to sell if you decided to do that. I got bored during the Covid shut down and ended up rebuilding my original engine and the engine I built originally now is on a cart and I fire it up about every two weeks just for fun, don't know what I'm going to do with it?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

1930artdeco

IF you are doing this to make money I think you will lose in the long run. If you just want to recoup what you have in it for parts and maybe a little more then I think you will be fine.
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

alvin stadel

Tom, I have a 312 that I have had for a long time. The machine work is done heads have new steel guides and seats. I know I will never build it and would like to find it a new home. I placed a for sale add here on the forum, make offer. I thought if I could get $650 or close to that I would be happy and let it go. I only had one response and they found a 312 a lot closer than Mt. So if you re really bored, build it, but you may have to set onit a long time before it goes away. Mine will probably be on my estate sale.

thomasso

Alvin;  Thanks for your offer.  A friend has given me a nice 292 block and a head to replace the cracked one, the crack is right in the combustion chamber and even melted the piston a little.  No wonder it smoked.  The engine was super clean on the outside.  Has some ugly sludge and oddly a lot of water passages were partially plugged.  Probably caused by the head leak.  Tom.  Also can you give me your address so next time I'm in Billings I would love to visit.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

alvin stadel

Tom. my address is 4721 Snow Line Vista Way,  Laural, Mt.  If you do head this way call me first, so I am sure to be here.  406-855-7362 or 406-633-4098.  Alvin