News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

My 57 Meteor Ranchero

Started by meteor, 2007-01-01 22:35

Previous topic - Next topic

meteor

Hi Guys, I finally made it back (been real busy with work and then found out the site had been changed again). Hope everyone had a safe and happy holiday.

I went to visit my Ranchero over the holidays (bodyshop is 4 hours away - long story) after getting a call from my body guy about the sorry state of the rear clip. After sandblasting the underside, cutting out the outer lower quarters (to put in new metal) and stripping most of the paint, a hideous creature revealed itself. Nobody could have guessed at what lie beneath layers of undercoating, paint and primer. Basically, the quarters (inner and outer), wheel openings, wheel wells, floor and rear valance is toast - full of rot and bad patchwork. Even the tops of her fins are full of pin holes and the metal is tissue thin.

I've decided not to give up on the car, yet. I've just invested too much money so far.

So, my options are slim and I wouldn't mind some opinions. I'm currently searching for a replacement body for the car, something at least better then what I have. I've come to understand that Rancheros = Rust and finding a solid car may not be possible. My other option is finding a 2-door wagon/wagon rear clip that can be grafted onto the front of my car. This seems like a frightening ordeal. Even the wagon clip would require a fair bit of modification to make it into a Ranchero box.

I appreciate any advice or help you can offer. Special thanks to Roger (RAWms) for the help so far.
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

shopratwoody

Meteor,
I'm aware of the rust problems these cars have. In your case I would buy another body for sure.

I have owned many of these Rancheros (ca cars). I think yours is just too much to deal with. I'll keep my eyes
open for one with less problems. I'm sure Roger will too. Save all the good stuff as it's all becoming hard to find
Good Luck, RonĀ  :deadhorse:
I hate blocksanding!

custom300fe

Meteor

Try sending this fellow an email. onlythebest@sprint.ca I have his Phone number somewhere but can't find it right now. He did have two or three Rancheros the last time I talked to him, and may have what you are looking for. His name is Gerald Manwaring and he is in Pickering ON.
Gerry

Custom 300 2dr
390 + 30
Edelbrock Heads
Ported Street Dominator, 750 DP
Crites 2" Long tube Headers
C-6
3:55 Trac-Loc

briney

Meteor,

I replied to the email you sent me this morning. On the way to work I shot a picture of the ranchero that is about 3 miles from the house.  It was sitting closer to the road, but the guy moved it to do some grade work towards the front of his property. I will try to stop by there one day this week and speak with the owner and get some better pictures. I think I know were another one is too.  I will check it out over the weekend.

So where are you located and how much are you willing to pay for a body? Do you have the means to pick it up or ship it?

Patrick   :happy4:
Dallas TX
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

meteor

Thanks for the support guys.

Gerry: Gerald Manwaring is the guy I bought my Ranchero from about 2.5 years ago. I haven't contacted him yet (I'm still feeling bitter about paying a good dollar for such a poor car). However, I'm going to assume he couldn't have known about the car's condition, my current body guy didn't know until completely stripping it. How long ago did you talk to him, when he had 2-3 rancheros?

Patrick: I sent you a response, thanks for checking out that car. I am near Toronto Canada, but am looking everywhere. I'm not sure what my budget is at this point, I guess it depends on what I can find and what makes the most sense to buy.

Ron: thanks for keeping an eye out for me.

custom300fe

Meteor
It's been three or more years since I spoke with him.
Gerry

If you go to this page http://56meteor.com/repage.htm on my site about half way down the 57 Registry are two of the cars he registered, he said he had three rancheros at that time. Maybe the ranchero is the one you got. The SN # he gave me is not complete.
Gerry

Custom 300 2dr
390 + 30
Edelbrock Heads
Ported Street Dominator, 750 DP
Crites 2" Long tube Headers
C-6
3:55 Trac-Loc

DanTudor57

Craigslist Santa Barbara, CA listed a free '57 Ranchero back in October.. or so. You might try posting, maybe it is still available. It was just the body and engine. I didn't go get it because I have no place for it.. Worth a try.

meteor500

hello,how has this progressed...i think this was a 6 cyl car that used to show up at the barrie Flea market...it didnt look that rusty( i can usually sense it...lol) but it went thru the salt years...its such a rare car,i hope you found a body..i may know of some parts if not...mark.

meteor

Quote from: meteor500 on 2008-12-31 03:02
hello,how has this progressed...i think this was a 6 cyl car that used to show up at the barrie Flea market...it didnt look that rusty( i can usually sense it...lol) but it went thru the salt years...its such a rare car,i hope you found a body..i may know of some parts if not...mark.

Hey Mark, the car has progressed slowly but is very near completion - it is now a Meteor Ranchwagon. The ranchero was a 6cyl. and no it didn't look rusty at all - some very bad stuff hidden very well. The ranchero is in pieces and currently for sale.