News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Buying a car out of state questions

Started by Fairlane Fan 57, 2024-06-13 01:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Fairlane Fan 57

What is the process of buying a car from out of state? Do I have to pay fees from the DMV where the car is being sold? For example a car for sale in Nebraska, do I pay the Nebraska DMV their fees and get a temporary permit to take it out of Nebraska?  Second, do I take California DMV documents with me and have the out of state owner fill out those vehicle transfer ownership forms? Do I have to fill out any out of state DMV forms where the vehicle is sold? What about using a classic car vehicle inspection company? How much do they charge to inspect a vehicle?

What about auto transport companies? Which is the best option to use on transporting a car-enclosed or not enclosed? Which are the best reputable transport companies?

mustang6984

WHEW!
Okay...going backward...if this is a running car and you are looking at a large sum of money to spend, I would say definitely hire an appraiser. They can tell you if the price is fair, too high or as in the case of one friend, the appraiser told him if he didn't buy it, the appraiser would, it was a steal deal. Appraiser prices can vary, I'd check 2-3 of them see what they charge and what they check, and why they ask what they do for price. Be comfortable with the answers. Some charge as little as $100.00 others can be $500. I think Rob paid a guy $300. He was happy.
When buying a car from out of state, you need a bill of sale, the pink slip signed off by the current owner transferring the ownership to you and then your signature. Both parts generally need dates. Some states, but not all will require a notary. Be sure the bill of sale is also dated and shows both the sellers name and yours. A typed one is best. Both need to sign and date that as well.
The state from which you are buying it will generally not require any forms from you. Unless you are staying in the state. Sounds like you are not so no worries there. Load it up and come home with the title in your glove-box.
No need to take any CA forms with you. Once you get the bill of sale, and the signed title, CA DMV will do the rest.
No fees required to the state you are buying in...but don't worry...CA will bend you over and shake every last penny out of your pockets.
If the car is being driven and does not have current tags, you will need to put a temporary transport tag on it to drive it home. Don't know what they cost now, but used to be about $10 for a 5 day permit.
No need to take any CA docs with you...as long as you have the bill of sale and the pink slip with all the proper signatures you are good to go.

So...you found a car. Cool! Do you want to fly out and drive it back? If not, I have a reputable shipping coordinator I used to ship my 9 cars from WA state to MO back in Jan of '21. Still have his number and can get it to you.
Let me know if you need anything else.
Later...Hugh
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

KYBlueOval

IF you are going to drive it home, don't forget to have proof of insurance with you.

David70A

I'd add that it's worth spending some time understanding the vehicle title laws and regs around your home state. There's a wild range of state law differences around must title/can title/can't title around older vehicles. Here in Vermont we are in a phase where legislature amended title statute but DMV has not been able to implement the changes, with some confusion resulting.

abe_lugo

I have bought out of state multiple times.
There are a few ways about it.
1. fly out check it out- possible test drive- pay- drive home.
2. buy sight unseen (through photos)- have it shipped.
another option is to have someone nearby to take better photos, facetime or videos.

I would rather pay a club member than a car appraiser IMO.

1000% have the seller take photos of the VIN on title  and the VIN on body in the two spots. If they dont match, step away slowly.
Have the old owner, file out a bill of sate form and a statement of facts form.  You can use the CA form if you are registering in CA.

Once you buy it, add insurance with photos to your carrier, just to have something covering it. have the VIN and plate #
Check to see local laws a few states, the owner keeps the plates. but in this day and age not having the plates is really not a big deal.

Generally, if its coming to CA you have a few days you can be without registration if its drivable.
But if you must, you get a copy of the title and start the registration process, get a moving permit. then drive with the moving permit.
If its being shipped- just get the insurance and have the papers copied for the the shipping (incase they ask).

I would have to say have someone other than the seller vouch for the car. 100% of the time the car is not s great as you expect. Everyone imagination fills in all the cracks.

DONT expect a shipping to make the car mobile- all a shipper will do is line it up, hook it up and winch into the trailer, if it doesnt drive. even that will be extra$$.  drivable is the best case.

I have two private shippers that do 1 car per trip, it cost more, but they are less likely to have something happen.
Commercial shippers are cheap but there is always damage or something odd.

I would recommend to get out there ant take a look for yourself, I flew to Detroit for a morning to check out  a Cadillac before I bought mine, and had a pocket full of money too, but it was not meant to be, I would hate myself for buying it.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

abe_lugo

BTW I was in MN in March, in Mankato there was a Classic Auto place and they had a very nice Yellow/Black victoria as well.

Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008