News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Starter Problem

Started by flatbedfred, 2024-06-17 10:11

Previous topic - Next topic

flatbedfred

When starting my 57 292 cold, with the normal sequence of events, one push to the floor on the gas, then hit the start on the key and it fires up into high idle. Sometimes the starter keeps on turning and the motor doesn't go to fast idle. When this happens I immediately turn the key off and start over. So I believe that it isn't a starter solenoid problem because because it all stops when I turn off the key. So I don't know what is causing it.

Tom S

I wouldn't dismiss the solenoid as being the problem. I've had them  stick closed intermittently before & think I whacked the solenoid with something but it didn't help. I'd try a new or different solenoid. Worse that could happen is that you'd have a spare solenoid. 

Tom S

Did you get this sorted out? 

flatbedfred

Thank you for your response. I am getting an education here. This is my first Ford in many years. The starter sounds very different then my old Chevy starters, and it almost sounds like it is geared. In any case, reading the manual I came across a statement that says the starter drive stays engaged until the rpm is over a certain number. Now I am wondering that when the motor does't catch right away, maybe because the choke is not in the right position, I let go of the key to stop the starter and the motor stumbles on at low rpm with the starter making the sound that I hear. Is that possible?

Tom S

That doesn't sound like that is the problem to me. When you turn the key from start to run the closed starter solenoid, the only thing that causes the starter gear to engage the flywheel, should open & the gear should retract even at a slow idle.
I still think you should try another solenoid/relay. Fortunately for us the Ford starter solenoids are not located in that inconvenient location down on the starter like those #@%&! chevy ones are.
I should mention that one, & maybe the only one, of the solenoids I had that was sticking closed years ago was new or near new.

58villager

hello fred. have had several 57-mid 60's fords do that same thing. does that starter have the drive that comes from the rear of the flywheel? those drives were designed to stay engaged until the starter drive reaches a certain rpm. kinda seems like somewhere around 400-500 engine rpm.
58 edsel villager big block (300 6cyl )58 edsel bermuda resto. project,78 ford king cobra 5.0/4speed

flatbedfred

I haven't actually had a look at the starter from underneath. I spent a lot of time underneath this past winter doing an in place rebuild, but didn't look at the starter!

As per the stuck solenoid idea, I experienced stuck solenoid problems on a 58 Bird, many years ago. At the time, the only way to stop it was to disconnect the battery. This is not the case here. The whole situation comes to a end when I off the key. A stuck solenoid would not act this way.