News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

2” Drop Coil Springs

Started by husumfarmer, 2024-08-31 15:10

Previous topic - Next topic

husumfarmer

So many years ago I cut my coils on my 57, to be honest I didn't know what I was doing  :deadhorse: I cut a hole coil and dropped it way to much, and it rides like a iron board😀, I've read all the ways to lower correctly,S-10 ,Areostar, etc, is their a manufacturer that sell 2" drop springs,thanks in advance.

djfordmanjack

Your Fairlane sits nice and low! it depends a lot on which engine you have ?

Just for comparison, here is my 57 CS with Aerostar coils. 292, 3spd Fordomatic, 8.00-14 Goodrich. no other mods. it rides really well, no complaints whatsoever.

abe_lugo

I could not find the moog springs and bought the other brand AC Delco springs at the local auto one and the works great and feel soft.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

cokefirst

Try Eaton Spring.  Here is their website.  Manufactured in the USA! https://www.eatondetroitspring.com/
1957 Skyliner
1956 Thunderbird
1955 Thunderbird
1956 Ford PU
1931 Model AA stakebed

husumfarmer

Thanks guys for all the help, I'm running 272 with Ford-a-magic

RICH MUISE

What worked for others may or may not work for you. Springs varied from the factory depending on the model and accessories. Ford wanted all their models to have the same ride height, and they used 9 different front springs to achieve that. Eaton Detroit sells 3 different springs vs the 9 that Ford used. Unfortunately for many of us it's a trial and error thing. Mine has 2" dropped spindles, and I ordered the lowest-rated 6 cyl. springs from Eaton, but my car still looked like a gasser because my 4.6dohc/4R70W is all aluminum. Lynn Aleisi here calculated how much I needed to remove from the springs to get me where I wanted. His calculations were dead-on.
Roughly 1/2 the desired drop in inches is removed from the coils. Note I said inches, NOT coils. for example: 2" drop = 1" removed from spring height. Cut them cold, do not use a torch. I think I used a handheld cut-off wheel, just went slow to not heat the springs. Keep in mind the springs will settle an inch or so over time, so ideally, when first assembled you'd want to be a little higher than final target.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

I started with a SWAG, cut 1 1/2 coils off.  Turns out that was just about dead on.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

wv 57s forever

where do you live, i have a set of aerostar springs i put on mine but didnt like would sell cheap but shipping would be a bear.