News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

weather stripping for door & vents

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2009-06-12 19:46

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

i ordered the kit and other parts to re weather strip door window and vent,   how hard of a job is it?,  or does it just take time?,  thanks for any info

geraldchainsaw

ok, tried that & no luck,   so i'll go another way.    has anyone ever put these seals in using the rivets?,   is there a tool or do u make one up,  is anyone has done this whats a good procedure, every bit helps.   thanks

57 Ford Kustom

Gerald :006:
    Got a pair of rear vent window rubbers right beside the confuser waiting for someone to answer you so I would not need to ask. To be truthful I haven't even really looked for a solution. The headliner install is more important.

TOM :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

wildhog

IN ONE OF DENNIS CARPENTERS CATALOGS IT SHOWS STEP BY STEP HOW TO DO THIS INSTALL. NOT TO HARD ,TAKES A LOT OF TIME AND YOU COULD USE A SECOND SET OF HANDS HOPE THIS HELPS TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

rmk57

My Dennis Carpenter catalogue has complete step by step procedure on replacing all
weatherstrip,anti-rattlers etc. Starts on page 88, hope this helps. Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

geraldchainsaw

i've seen the how to article in Carpenters,   what i wanted to know was,  has anyone worked with the rivits?, is there a tool or do i have to make one?,  thanks

tarheel57

You might want to contact dennis carpenters about the rivets, on their tech-support line by phone, they can answer any and all of your questions.They have a great group of guys with a lot of knowledge on this type of stuff.Their tech no. is  1-704-786-8139  hope this helps!

geraldchainsaw

thanks,   i'll give them a buzz, 

rockymountaincustom

It is best to have two people to do the rivets. They say to use a rivet punch, not sure what that is. We just set the head of the rivet up so it is being supported. The more solid the better. Once you have the seal were you want it, use a dull center punch and softly hit the center of the rivet until it starts to mushroom out. Then I use a flat punch and tap the sides of the rivet down. The rivets are usually brass, and flatten easily, so you dont need to hit them very hard. If you do, they start to split and you cant get them to tighten up very well.

foooordy

Ijust put a pair together, the DC article is good but pics are not up to par. definitly 2 man job rivets are easy we used center punch to spread rivet before hitting with flat punch and flatten them pretty good  so as not to  effect glass movement . not as hard as you might think
57 Foooordy

jerry hovey

I agree with rockymountain about the extra hands and the punches. Did both sides of my custom 300
they turned out great. I also replaced the anty ratal window strips on the vent window tracks with rivits