News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

restoration process 57 retractible.

Started by barefoot, 2009-08-19 17:03

Previous topic - Next topic

barefoot

i have been getting bids to do the paint on my 57 sunliner.3 restoration shops say to soda blast,3 others say to work over existing paint.i need some feedback on what to do.  barefoot

JPotter57

Talk to Jim Nolan about working over existing paint.  His car looked pretty good, but the "existing paint" and "original metal" hid a lot of sins.  When it started bubbling and making itself known, Jim tore the car down and went back with new, bare metal, new bodywork from a skilled craftsman, and new paint.  The car is now outstanding.  You can see it in the gallery, listed above, look for under construction, and members cars, with Jim Nolan as the author.  If you're spending the money, do yourself a favor and spend it once, not twice, because believe me, the second time will cost more.....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

tarheel57

Paint and body work is not cheap to begin with.If your plaining on keeping the car, your far better off taking it to the metal and doing it the right way.It will cost a little more,but you will know what you have when its done.I restore cars on the side and the only way I will guarantee the job is to do it right,by going to the metal.You just dont know whats under that old paint,plus todays paints,body fillers,primers,etc.are far more superior than the products used years ago.Do it once and do it right and you will be happy with the end results. :burnout:

barefoot

thanks for the advice. i will go with 1 of the shops that will take it to the metal. car only has 44672 miles on it.but sat for 19 yrs. i will probably have more money into this 57 than i have left in my 401k,but at least wall st.will not get it!lol.  regards,  barefoot