News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

stainless trim

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2009-09-22 13:02

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

has any one taken off the top stainless trim on the quarter panel of a convertible,    i tried today,  took out the seats and side panels, and still couldn't c the bolts holding the trim on, even used a mirror and lite,  does the trim slide off the forward part of the trim and u only have to take off the back bolts to get it off??????????,   thanks for any info,   jerry

JimNolan

Jerry,
   If the trim was put on as from the factory it will have two molding clips in the back that has nuts on them. ( You take the nuts loose from the inside of the fender). The rest of the trim except the front has clip-on molding clips. The front of that long piece has one molding clip with a nut on the inside. The curved section next to the door is put on with nuts also.
   As far as the molding clip nuts are concerned. Get a small boy with flexable arm joints to find and loosen those nuts. I didn't have that luxury when I did mine so I ended up with a back ache for a couple months over it. Keep this in mind. The degree of success in any endevor is directly proportional to the patience and thought that goes into it. Take your time. Those pieces your working on are expensive. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

geraldchainsaw

thanks Jim,   i was afraid thats the way it was going to b,    i kinda figured that there would b 1 nut i couldn't reach,   i've done trim like this before so its no big deal,    but that 1 nut is,   looks like i won't b doing it,   i couldn't even c the 1 nut with a lite and mirror,   thanks for the advice,    jerry

JimNolan

Jerry,
   Don't give up yet. If I could do it, anyone can. I'm big, fat and old and that didn't stop me. In fact, my entire fin stainless is put on with clips that have nuts on them. I tried to use the push on clips but I saw where I was distorting the stainless so I bought all nut type clips and managed to lock every one of them down. It was hard and it took a lot of weird body positions before I did it, but, I did it. Just ask James Potter about me, he'll tell you that by looking at me you wouldn't figure I could tye my shoes without help. Jim

geraldchainsaw

ok,  i won't brag,   i'm slim trim but 71,  and by the time i make up my mind i'll be 72 or 73,  we'll c what happens

JimNolan

Jerry,
   I didn't know you were 71. I'm 61 and in another 10 years I probably won't care if mine even has trim on it. Jim