News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

headers

Started by clubcoupe57, 2009-11-08 10:43

Previous topic - Next topic

clubcoupe57

Hi Guys, has anyone lately bought and put headers on your y-block, if so where did you purchase them, and were they a direct bolt on, I changed my mastter cylinder, to duel resorvior, what that make a diffference in clearance? Thanks , Mike

rmk57

I bought y-block header flanges and I'm going to build my own. There looks to be quite a bit of room even on the drivers side as compared to a big block 60's mustang for instanced.
Reds headers and I think Sanderson make headers for 57 Fords. I don't think your master cylinder will be in way, unless maybe you use fenderwell headers?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

wildhog

YOUR MASTER CLY. WILL NOT BE IN THE WAY. FOLLOW THE LINK TO THE Y-BLOCK SITE. A FEW DIFFERENT MODELS OF HEADERS ARE OUT THERE. RED'S HEADERS FOR STREET USE. YESTER- TECH FOR ALL OUT PERFORMANCE, SOME TIMES AN OLD SET OF HEADMANS SHOW UP. FOR STREET USE A SET OF THE WIDE 312 CAST MANIFOIDS FLOW AS WELL AS AN EARILY SET OF HEADMANS. HOPE THIS HELPS TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Ford_Crazy

How about a set of long tube headers for an FE in a 57? I know about the Crites & FPP shorties. A friend of mine says the headers for a 67 & up big block Mustang might work.  Anyone tried a set?

JPotter57

If you use a smaller steering box, you can prob make a set of tube headers for a 61-64 Galaxie work.  I have a `63 Galaixe box on mine, and it looks like the Gal headers would clear everything.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

rmk57

I'm using 1 1/2 tubing and there's enough room with the stock steering box for all four tubes. Mine are a shorty
style header. With larger 1 3/4 tubes it would get tight by the steering box. Do the crites headers go under the control arms or something.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JPotter57

Yes, the Crites headers drop underneath the lower control arms, like the big block headers for a `70 Torino with 429.  If your car is lowered, forget it, you'll beat the lower two tubes flat over the first couple speed bumps.  FPA, though expensive, is really the best tight fit header available, I just don't like the Tri-Y design.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

shopratwoody

A good FE needs 1 7/8" - 2" with about a 36" primary. I had mine built by a header guy always. :003:
Ron
I hate blocksanding!

Ford_Crazy

I don't want to beat this subject to death because I have posted this question here before. I have a 1958 steering box in my 57 Custom. I swapped it out because I was told it's a better box and also because I was hoping to use shorty style 406 exhaust manifolds with my FE swap. I would love to use the shorty exhaust manifolds and am ready to pay the $price, but don't want to buy them and find out they won't fit. Anybody out there actually know from experience if this works?  If not, anyone have a set of shorties I can try?  I'll pay the freight. :deadhorse:

wildhog

FIRST OF ALL WE SHOULD START A NEW TOPIC THIS WAS HIGH JACKED FROM CLUB COUPE 57 WHEN HE ASKED ABOUT Y-BLOCK HEADERS. I TRYED TO FIT 406 SHORTYS IN MY F.E. POWERED 57 RAGTOP EVEN WITH THE  SMALLER 58 BOX IT WOULDN'T FIT. I WENT TO THE F.P.A. SHORTY'S THEY WORKED GREAT. IF I HAD DO OVERS I WOULD HAVE CHANGED TO THE RACK AND PINNION STEERING AND USED MY 406 HEADERS. THIS WINTER I AM PUTTING A RACK IN THE CAR AND GOING BACK TO A Y-BLOCK, I WILL HAVE ALL THE ROOM IN THE WORLD. TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Ford_Crazy

Tom, thanks for the reply.  This is the first time I have heard from someone with real experience using the shorties. Sorry about high jacking the thread.  You saved me a lot of trouble.  :001:

4banger

Wildhog is right. I put cast iron shorty's on my 427. Installed a 58 box, still hit. So I cut the cast where it hit, put a patch in ,and all is well. Been 2 years and the cast never cracked.

2drhrdtp57

As of Xmas day, have a set of Reds Dual Tubes for my Y block for my 57 63A Victoria , They are tig welded, nicely finished, they were often criticised for poor finish and an early set I came across were, But these are beautys, Was glad to see them under the Xmas tree this morning. The finish is A++++ very impressed. As far as bolt up, I cant verify, as I have my car stripped out, Will get the exhaust fabricated to suit anyway. One step closer to the back on the road....Like eating an elephant , one bite at a time. :003:
1957      _____________     Ford
    \___((_____________))___/
     (@)_______V________(@)
      [______I______I_______]
        [__]  0             0  [__]

Y Blocks, The New Flathead