News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

sorry, not 57 ford related

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2009-09-30 17:43

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

does anyone belong to a mustang forum like the one we have for 57 fords?,   i would like to find out how to take off decals before i paint,  thanks   jerry

Ford Blue blood

Jerry I have used a heat gun to warm them up and just peeled them off.  Got them started with a putty knife and then pulled and heated, as the glue softens it will release easy.  I assume you are talking about the vinyl stick ons?  If it is a water/soap decal of old, use amonia based glass cleaner (soak it for a while), is slow and of course the 3M buff they sell for that purpose.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

geraldchainsaw

thanks Al,  tomorrow i'm going to a parts dealer & c if he will rent or let me use his heat gun to c how it works before i buy 1,   its the sticky vinyl,  i have a 51 ford that i painted aleast 5 times in laquer and got tired of buffing it all the time, so i took it to Mayco & they did a pretty good job,  so on the mustang i'm doing all the body work before i take it in,  between the 57 and the 69 i always have a hard time picking which ride to take,  but then when we have the downriver cruise  i take both anyway,  fun time, sorry for the long story,    thanks again for the info,   jerry

Ford Blue blood

A 70 Boss 302 is what I had to peel off (one that got away!).  They were original and did the job in 74.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II