News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Problem with T86 transmission

Started by jwag, 2009-12-20 12:40

Previous topic - Next topic

jwag

In my 57 Ranchwagon I have a T86 with a R10 overdrive. Sometimes when I stop to shift down to 1st and clutch is totally engaged, the gears are still spinning and the gears grind when I downshift. A few months back it was doing this and I chipped 1st gear. I had to replace the cluster. I also replaced the clutch at that time. It quit doing it but it has started up again. The adjustment on the clutch seems fine. I adjusted it yesterday  as a precaution. What could be causing this? Could this possibly be caused by a slight misalignment brought on by a worn Transmission mount? What else could it be? 

Lou

Is the car still rolling foward when you try to shift back to first or are you at a complete stop?

jwag

Lou

The clutch is not completely disengaging. Check the bearing on the clutch pivot, check the clutch fork for wear at the pivot point, also make sure you have the right clutch linkage. Your adjustments may be moving so recheck them also. Clutch should be fully engaged with the peddle about 1 inch from the top. ( In my street racing days I always set a low clutch on my 55/56 Fords and they would go out of adjustment in about 1000 miles and cause first gear to grind, so I have to readjust them)

jwag

Thanks Lou. I will take a close look at the  pivot and arm.

Thanks,

Jamie

jwag

Finally found the issue. The clutch linkage is breaking apart. The arm that is welded to the pipe that sits (and is attached) to the frame and the engine block is breaking at the weld. I would have never guessed!