News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Please help !! --- My hood fits poorly

Started by kens65fb, 2009-11-30 18:02

Previous topic - Next topic

kens65fb

All the welding work is done, and now we're bolting all the body panels back on the Ranchero.
Doors fit great !!, door to rear quarter,  door to cowl, and door to fender gaps, are nearly perfect.
The hood fits ivery wierd.
The side to side fit is O.K..  The hood to cowl fit is nice as well. 

The problem is the height !! 

The first 3rd of the hood is about the same height as the fenders, the second 3rd of the hood, rises to about 1/4 inch higher than the fenders for about 24 inches,  then decends to fit flush at the cowl.
It is the same on the driver, and passenger sides.
Any body have an idea what needs to be done
The doors, fenders,  and quarters, all fit exceptionally well, and are NOT original to this vehicle, the hood is a donor as well.
I'm stumped
Thanks
Ken

JimNolan

Ken,
  Yes, I can tell you whats wrong. Too many people have been slamming the hood from the back corners. When I did my car I found that only the drivers side had been done that way. Short story. You're hoods bent. My hood looks fine except for the passenger side and that side is higher than the fender by about 1/8 inch. That's from slamming the hood from the drivers side. We tried everything to fix it but changing alignment caused other problems. Soooo, I open the hood when I show it. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JimNolan

P.S. Ken,
   57 hoods are just like airplane cowlings, never let anyone else open or close them. Jim

FORDNUT

If you will shim the core support up so that the top of the fenders are higher, you can then drop the hood latch to bring the back down. The hood bumpers will also have to be lowered. They never fit real good, but you can get a lot closer than you are.
At my age I am not required to act mature.

Lgcustom

I have seen this done on early 70's Mustangs to make them fit flush. It's scary, but go slow and don't over do it. Put a block under the rear corner of the  hood and push down at the high spot. It will rebend the hood to flatten it. If it isn't painted yet, get a thick (1/2") plastic block about 8" x 6" to spread the load and hit it with a big rubber faced hammer! The final fit guy at Dearborn assembly plant used to bash the heck out of them with no apparent damage to the paint. Good luck.
X2 on who gets to open and close the hood.

geraldchainsaw

this isn't going to b any help, but i have to put my 2 cents in,    from reading what the other guys have said,  i have never tried to shut my hood using the corners,  i've always closed my hood pushing down on the center near the cowl, of course then i had to wipe off my prints

JimNolan

Ken,
   When it came time to align the fenders and hood during restoration the guy doing the job took a long time doing it. I'd say he did as much as he could do without going completely insane. The front of our cars are not what you'd call friendly to work on in the first place. Think about it, the whole front end is pivoted on one bolt. The height you put the front end at that bolt determines the fit at the doors and cowling as well as the alignment of the hood. The guy that did my car wasn't an amature and he had problems aligning the front end. The final fit of your front end will end up being what you will settle for. It can be made perfect by bending the hood. I tried that. Scared the ever loving _ _ _ _ right out of me. I settled for less than perfect. Jim PS The front of my doghouse had to be narrowed so the gap of the hood would be the same on both sides. Remember, this metal is fifty some years old.

Ford Blue blood

Using this method should get it back into shape.  I would try without the hammer at first, just spread your hands out on the high spot and push, use a sudden "jolt", increasing the firmness until the desired results are achieved.  Check fit between pushes and do each side before the fit check.  Like doors that have been abused over the years the hood sheet metal will get out of shape and needs to be "persuaded" to cooperate!  After the final fit is done place some spot welds along the seam (if not painted) and check fit after each weld.

Quote from: Lgcustom on 2009-12-01 13:04
I have seen this done on early 70's Mustangs to make them fit flush. It's scary, but go slow and don't over do it. Put a block under the rear corner of the  hood and push down at the high spot. It will rebend the hood to flatten it. If it isn't painted yet, get a thick (1/2") plastic block about 8" x 6" to spread the load and hit it with a big rubber faced hammer! The final fit guy at Dearborn assembly plant used to bash the heck out of them with no apparent damage to the paint. Good luck.
X2 on who gets to open and close the hood.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II