News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Steering wheel removal

Started by outcruisen, 2009-09-29 07:04

Previous topic - Next topic

outcruisen

WE HAVE TOUCH DOWN.... WOOOOHHHHOOOOOOO.......

Jim I did it your way.. Actually, WE did it your way!!!

4 people required in the end. We undid the nut then screwed it back to sit flush on the shaft, put a steel plate over the nut (but small enough to fit inside the horn ring part of the wheel), my son Daniel held that bit.. We then used a 2 inch round bar and sat that on top of the plate so we could get enough swing and belt it without hitting the wheel itself, Dad held this bit and swung the BMFH (In the words of Jim)..

Me and my mate rocked the wheel and pulled like 10 (Very slight over egsageration) horses..

Anyway, end result was a POP !!!!!!

Well, as he didnt do it on his own, I only had to kiss the side of his butt cheek!!!!! Truth is it was worth it, and due to cell phone camera technology, every goddamn mate on this planet has now seen the event..

Guys, I cant thank you all enough.. But I have buggered up the nut a little, and was wondering if anyone has a spare nut for the steering wheel shaft for sale? (The shaft is all good).

Cheers All

Mark

JimNolan

Mark,
   I'm glad you got it off. As far as the nut goes, look on ebay or call some salvage yards. Surely to God 1957 isn't the only year they made that nut with those threads. Probably there's a bunch of years that will work. I really hated telling you to do it that way because once I did everyone would know that I'm a hillbilly. You learn how to do a lot of things without money or the availability of advice. The internet is the greatest thing ever invented. It gives you knowledge at the stroke of a key. Good Luck, Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

texasmark1

nice story with a happy ending!!
by the way, can you fix cracks in a steering wheel and then paint it to look good without even removing it from the car??!!

Happy Thanksgiving from Texas!
Mark
God Bless Texas!

JimNolan

Mark,
   Yes you can, but, the surrounding areas look like crap when you get done. Happy Thanksgiving to you. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

texasmark1

dang!
figures that the easy way is still not the best way...
that was my attempt at humor anyway...
how about this: "What?  Who says a black steering wheel looks out of place in a red and white car??"
God Bless Texas!

hotrodbob

We will try that way too, but so far no luck for us. We have buggered up the threads on the steering shaft and broken two pullers. Beat the living Sh*t out of the wheel and soaked the shaft in all sorts of snake oils. We gave up since we started the thread, but have gotten to the point of starting on this again.

Thanks for all the posts on this.
Anyone can restore a classic car, but it takes a real hot rodder to cut one up and make it cool.
http://bob-beck-motorsportsannouncing.com/

outcruisen

Dont give up on it.. It is a better feeling than seeing your children being born when it "POPS"... Nah, but if you build it it will come.

Cheers, hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and may your new year see you cruise the beaches, mountains, valleys etc where ever you live on this wonderful planet of ours..

Cheers