News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

3 Wire Alternator Installation

Started by Bubba, 2010-02-19 12:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba

I would like to install a 3 wire alternator, preferably Ford, in my 63A.
Either internally or externally regulated is fine.
The previous owner had installed a one wire alternator which I would like to replace.
Also, does anyone know how I can get in touch with M.A.D. Enterprises who make electrical system upgrade kits?  I tried multiple times to contact them at the listed phone number [(559) 539-7128] but get no answer or recording and they don't list an Email address.
Thanks
Bubba

Ford Blue blood

Bubba the Ford three wire is fairly easy and does not require much of anything special.  Just hook the alt to the regulator and run a wire from the "I" terminal through a lamp (if you have an idiot light that will work) to 12V run.  If you have an idiot light it is already hooked to 12V run, just need to find the "output" end and it will most likely be in the engine bay near where the orignial regulator was located.  You can use the existing 10 gauge wire from the one wire to the starter solenoid to the large terminal on the Ford alternator, run new "A" & "S" wire and a wire from the large terminal on the alternator to the respective terminals on the regulator, alt out put to the "B", and the other two to their respective terminals on the regulator.  Run a ground wire from the alt to the regulator as well just to be sure of good signal.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

deereford

Hi, I have been looking into the newer Ford alternators known as 3G. They have over 100 amp output, and one of the three mounting styles should fit where the one wire is. The fan is internal, and most any v-pulley will replace the multi-grove one. fordfuelinjection.com has much info on their site and wire harness and etc. Brad

4banger

I run a 1G, 100 amp, one wire. Its called the small case. Tuff Stuff Products. Nice piece of equipment.