News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

c4 trans

Started by wv 57s forever, 2010-02-22 22:25

Previous topic - Next topic

wv 57s forever

:homer:
Help i need some info i just had what i thought was a c4 rebuilt, when it was almost finished the man told me it is a c5. My question is will the valve body for a c4 work in a c5.

thanks for any info

JPotter57

Allan, yeah, a C4 valve body will work in the C5.  Actually, C5 is a better trans, has 5 clutches in the drum, heavier case and stuff.  The valve body for C5 is not as good as the C4, which is why performance builds will add a C4 VB and convertor.  C5 convertor is junk, so figure on replacing it.  Later C5 had a lockup convertor, maybe early ones too, not sure.  I have build hybrid C4s with C5 clutch drums, etc.  You are safe with the C5.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

wv 57s forever

thanks james i found out also that the bell housing has to be changed c4 is 7/8 of an inch shorter, will wipe out the front pump if not changed. hope that going from c6 to c4 will improve performance of the car.

JPotter57

Forgot about the bell, thats because of the crazy convertor I mentioned earlier, its a big one.  The C4 will be a lot better than the C6, as far as performance goes, its much lighter, and the reciprocating weight is much less.  Those C6s are heavy beasts, man...They are a tough trans though.  I believe you'll be happy with the C4/C5.  Tell me how it goes...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.