News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Starter motor alternatives?

Started by outcruisen, 2010-05-27 06:35

Previous topic - Next topic

outcruisen

Hi all.. I was wondering if anyone has any idea of an alternative to the factory type starter motor?

Mine is starting to show signs of age.. Basically wont turn the new motor fast enough for it to actually fire.. and I was trying to find out if there was an alternative that would fit such as FE or small block Ford etc that was better than the original type on a 312 Y block..

I know the FE truck starter motor was a good replacement on the FE series big block fords as they were a more modern (Conventional throw type as opposed to the long nose pull set up), but will this same type starter motor fit on the Y block?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers from Down under..

Lou

The starter motor is not failing, the bearing are, have it rebuilt and you shouldn't have a problem.

outcruisen

Thanks for that.. I wondered what that grinding noise was as I had only started the car once before the pull down and didnt remember hearing it.. Already booked in to the auto electrician for a rebuild..

Thanks..