News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Supercharged 351 Windsor

Started by 57AGIN, 2010-04-28 15:05

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Well, I'm finally seeing the fruits of my labors. L0L  I recently installed a Paxton Novi-1200 centrifugal supercharger on my 57's 351W.  Yesterday, I installed a MSD Boost Ignition Retard module and finally was able to see what the actual power gain has been.  Was it worth it??? 

After an initial dyno run with the boost ignition retarded 1 degree per pound of boost the engine was running strong and had real good air/fuel mixture showing at 4 pounds of boost at about 4000 rpm.  We adjusted the boost ignition retard to 2 degrees of retard for every pound of boost and did another pull on the Dyno.  The results were 472.8 hp @ 5700 rpm and 456.8 ft/lbs of torque at 4500 rpm.  The supercharger boost topped out at 5.86 pounds @ 5700 rpm.  The Dyno operator was being cautious and stopped the pull at 5700 rpm, as the air/fuel mixture was beginning to climb above 12.5:1 (leaning out).  The Dyno tuner said that with a few small adjustments to the Holly carb, slightly decreasing the initial amount of fuel dumped into the primaries when the throttle is opened wide and increasing the jet size of the secondaries the engine would be ready for pulls up to 6500 rpm.  He said that 500 hp is very possible.

Was it worth it?  :burnout: :icon_salut: Yes, I think a gain of 127 hp and still having a very docile, reliable, tuneable and streetable engine made my investment worth it. I still have some cosmetic changes to do to the installation, but the car is drivable and feels very stout.

Bob
57 AGIN

JPotter57

Incredible.  Be sure to get some video of the old 300 incinerating the skins.....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

wighty

It looks like a beautiful installation with the engine and everything around it.
I was trying to see what you are using for a radiator.  Is it a cross flow? Does it mount to the original mounting holes?

RICH MUISE

Nice Job...That's really gonna help catch those waves comin' in!
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

65kcode

Nice set-up, what compression ratio is the motor running, and any clearance problems with the hood?

Kevin

57AGIN

Weighty & 65Kcode:

The radiator is a Matson polished aluminum 2 pass radiator with shroud and 2 electric fans.  Works great and was a direct bolt in to the radiator support.  I had to move it forward about 1.5 inches to give additional clearance for the blower pulley.

The compression ratio is 9.0:1, the heads are slightly reworked Edelbrock RPM series and the Pistons are TRW forged.  The Air-Gap intake manifold raises the carb & Paxton carb enclosure 1 to 1.5 inches (not sure exactly how much) and the hood still clears the setup.  Paxton engineering told me that a clear 7 inches is needed above the top of the carb base on the intake manifold.  I measured a little over 8 inches clearance.  There might be a slight clearance issue with my radiator cap after moving the radiator forward.  I haven't had a chance to get out the clay to check that out, but I haven't noticed any unusual noises coming from something banging into the hood & the paint is still intact.  I will be checking those clearances shortly. 

The major flaw in the current setup is that the air cleaner and blower intake is sitting below the blower discharge tube and is right next to the headers.  I'm going to be using the cowl where the windshield wiper wires are hidden to supply cooler air to the engine as soon as I can figure out a box enclosure for a better air cleaner.  Much like was done by the NASCAR racing community did back in the day.

Bob
57 AGIN