News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

CJ Exhaust Manifolds Don't Work

Started by Ford_Crazy, 2010-06-22 10:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_Crazy

I tried a set of 428 CJ exhaust manifolds in my custom this weekend.  They fit fine except the driver's side exhaust outlet comes out directly in front of the clutch release shaft.  I tried to reengineer the linkage, but they won't work in a 57 with a manual transmission and stock clutch linkage.  The Crites headers require an oil filter relocation bracket and they look like they hang down pretty low. Looks like the only other choice is Ford Power Train shorties.  Anyone running them?

Hoosier Hurricane

You might look into a hydraulic clutch release bearing setup.  Never used one, but they are available.  Circle trackers developed them, I think.

John

Ford_Crazy

I thought about that, but I would like everything to be sixties era.  Besides, I really don't want to pull the drive train out again.  I've pretty much decided to order a set of Power Train headers.  I talked with them on the phone yesterday and they are very informed and helpful.  The price is scary, but if you want to play ... you have to pay.  By the time I get them to my car, they will cost be about $850 with ceramic coating.   Merry Christmas  :114:

JPotter57

Thanks for verifying that.  I was looking into the CJ manifolds myself.  There was a really nice set of `57 Ford headers on ebay last night, I almost bid on them, but I am so back and forth between my FE and my 351C, I just didnt know what to do.  A fellow is looking to buy my whole 351C setup so that may make it easy on me.  If and when that happens, I will be trying to get this thing together with FE power.  I know many have tried the 63 shorty cast iron headers without much luck.  However, I am also running a 63 box, which is significantly smaller than either the 57 or 58 boxes, tucks closer to the frame rail.  I am wondering, since the frames from `57 to `64 are essentially the same, with differences for wheelbase, will my narrower 63 box help the shortys clear?  Does anyone have any input on this?  I am hoping to use a set of those eventually, since they look better than any header out there.Just a thought.  These are being repro'd for about $500 set now.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford_Crazy

I have not been able to borrow a set of shorty 406 exhaust manifolds.  I have talked to a bunch of people who say they don't work and they cost too much to buy and find out the hard way.  Someone told me they will work if you angle cut the mounting flanges. They do look cool, but by the time you bought a set and modified them you would probably have as much in them as the headers.   The stock 57 clutch linkage is the real problem. The 62-3-4 galaxies used a curved z-bar and the stock 57 is a straight tube.  The CJ manifolds will work great with an automatic car. Clearance is fine with my 58 box, but the clutch linkage is directly in front of the exhaust pipe flange, Of course you can make anything work if you try hard enough.

shopratwoody

My car is very low so the FPA shortys work well.{ after some tweaking}
If you're stuck on the 60's thing, I don,t remember short tube
header then either. We all modfied clutch linkage with engine
swaps.
I hate blocksanding!

Ford_Crazy

I had a chance to look at a real CJ mustang today.  The clutch equalizer shaft in these cars was located much further to the rear than a 57 Ford, making it able to clear the driver's side exhaust exit.  If you have an automatic behind a CJ in a 57 Ford, the stock CJ exhaust manifolds work like a champ.  Otherwise you are looking at a hydraulic clutch, serious clutch linkage fabrication or different headers.  I'm ordering my FPA headers today.  Thanks  :001:

Ford_Crazy

Spoke to FPA again, then called Crites.  May go with Crites instead.   Both seem like good options with two different approaches.  Ground clearance not that much of an issue in my car. Crites are full length and look like they make more power.   We'll see.

JPotter57

Crites are 2 inch tube also.  If you are using the stock trans crossmember, you may want to go with the FPA.   The Crites headers exit directly into the crossmember, and will need to be either notched, or replaced with the tubular section of a late Crown Vic crossmember to clear the headers and pipes. This is what I did on my last one.  That is the one bad thing about the Crites headers, is the interference with the trans crossmember.  I have some pics on my home computer illustrating this, I'll post them later tonight or tomorrow, I'm working offshore today, so wont be home for a while. 
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford_Crazy

Thanks for the info.  I will ask them about the crossmember and see what they have to say.  Please post the pictures.  It would be a great help.

Ford_Crazy

Spoke with Crites again.  The Crites headers do interfere with the stock 57 cross member.  They sell a modified cross member for a 57 Ford that solves this problem.  So if you add everything up, the cost of the FPI shorties is about the same as the Crites headers after you buy all the parts and have the headers ceramic coated.  Looks like there are only two choices.  Now which one to buy??  ???