News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Manual Operation of Skyliner Retractable

Started by Dlandau, 2010-03-13 18:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Dlandau

New to this site and Just picked up my 57 Sky Liner I can hear the motors running the trunk lid lifted about an inch and stopped.  I have a crank but can't figure out where the access is to manually crank the trunk lid open..Any assistance is appreciated.

Doug

cool57

Relying on my foggy memory, it is in driver side wheel well above and forward of tire.

Ford Blue blood

You really need to get a Retactable manual!  The noise you are hearing are the un-locking screws, after they get finished the trunk motor is supposed to open the trunk lid, the "flipper" panel flips out, the roof locks un-lock and the roof motor starts lifting the roof.  There is no manual screw jack to do any of this.

Given the trunk is un-locking you can open the lid by removing the bolts that fasten the screw jacks to the trunk floor.  Look under the rear of the car, you will see two bolt heads on each side about three to four inches in from the edge of the quarter, remove those four and the trunck lid should lift.  If the locks are still engaged and will not release there are two bolt heads in each of the wheel wells (on the top front), remove them and that will release the trunk locks.  One motor runs both trunk lock screws, it is mounted on the trunk lid, one motor runs the screw jacks to lift the lid and it is mounted on the back panel inside the trunk.

Remove the back seat and you will find a long narrow box that contains more solinoids then you have ever seen in your life.  The inside cover should have a diagram that tells you which solinoid runs what function.  By jumping the "start" terminal you can activate each function manually.  Those solinoids are controlled by switches located all over the car and just one of them out of whack will bugger up the operation!  I just really can't emphasize enough the need for that manual.  They are readily available
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Dlandau

Bill,

That got it, I have my shop manual ordered should be here any day. We REALLY appreciate the help, we just got the car Saturday, so as you could imagine I had to try to get the retractable to work. I had shorted the deck lift solenoid out and only got the "CLUNK" of a seized motor, once I got in the trunk though the motor and the actuators both turn free,, so Not sure if it was just hung or what.  I had to shut it down for the night, but I have to say you made our day....

Thanks Again

Doug

Ford Blue blood

Doug you will most likely find one or both the lift jacks are frozen.  They can be freed up, just takes some "playing", PB Blaster and a little time.  The retracts were leakers and one area was the trunk.  The location of the jacks and the fact they pointed up allowed water to enter.  Mine had set for almost twenty years and both were frozen, but both work just fine right now.  As you go along you will learn the motor needs to be running (charges the battery) or have a good charger hooked up.  That system likes (demands) a full 12 volts plus to behave properly!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

quad_quazy

if you haven't figured this out yet and none of the other suggestions work her are some more tips.  if the trunk lid lift motors work when you jump them at the solonoid then check the switch in the left trunk lid lock screw, there is a rod in the hard point that hits a plunger up inside the screw that hits a rocker and then the switch on the side of the lock screw.  if the rod is broken/missing or the switch is not adjusted correctly (most likely situation) it will not send a signal to the relay to push the trunk lid up.  Make sure you don't over adjust it or next time you try and open the trunk lid it will send a signal too soon and the lift motors will push too early and if your trunk lock screw motors are not strong enough they won't have enough power to overcome the big motors trying to lift the trunk lid binding it up.
As suggested, a manual is a good idea, but my problem is I'm cheap, mechanicaly inclined, and learn by doing, so I just spent several frustrating hours drawing my own diagrams.  But, after all that, now I don't need them, lol.
Enjoy learning all you can about your new ride, and like me, when anyone asks you if you ever have problems with the top you just smile and say, "only when I hit the switch", LOL.