News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Steering ram to suit power steering in a 57A

Started by outcruisen, 2010-12-02 19:34

Previous topic - Next topic

outcruisen

Hi all, just purchased a steering ram seal kit and rubber mounting kit (where the ram passes through the chasis on the right hand side)... None of it fits... My guess is that the ram that is actually in the car is of the same length, but not the correct one for my 1957 Fairlane model 57A..

Could someone email a picture of what it should look like, and if not too much trouble measure the diameter of the body and steel shaft that moves in and out on the right hand side..

I am finding not 1 part of this car is correct, and every time I need to sort something out it is creating a whole new can of whoopass for me..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers from Down Under

deereford

Hi, Check the build date on your car. The very early cars, built first in 1956 for the introduction had 56 style ps cylinder, canister oil filter, and a different ash tray than the latter 57s. I know this cause I have a very early car. Check a orginal Ford parts book it you can find one. Hope this helps. Merry Christmas. Brad

outcruisen

Brad.. Not sure how to decifer the ID tags... Here is the info that is on it so hoping you (or someone) might be able to help me understand what it means?

Body 57A (4 door hard top)
Colour E (Guessing... white)
Trim AJ (?)
Product 23L-5781 (This is the big 1... Figuring this would contain the build date info etc).

Again, any help would be great.

Cheers

outcruisen

Forgot to add... Serial # is D7LV 1169025

Cheers

RICH MUISE

Outcriusin...go to www.1957ford.com (it's the first one listed in our '57 ford supplier links section). click on specifications,then data plate codes, and it'll bring up 3 or 4 pages of info on deciphering your numbers   Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

outcruisen

Thanks for that.. By the ID tag combination it seems its an early 57 that I have...

Brad you are correct in the assumption I may have the 56 steering ram and solved the mystery of why someone along the line has converted the ram over.. I will look at a 56 kit from Carpenters now.

You guys are gold... Thanks again.

Cheers

Mark