News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

stainless

Started by clubcoupe57, 2010-07-11 11:43

Previous topic - Next topic

clubcoupe57

Hi Guys, I have been working on my stainless, sanding and buffing and it looks great for 53 yrs. old,  but I have 2 small problems, somebody before me decided the best way to keep the side moulding on was to screw it to the side of the car!.Now I have 2 holes in my side molding,my Question is how do I go about fixing the holes, ,I guess I could put them bullet hole stickers over them just kidding. Thanks Mike

JimNolan

Mike,
   It all depends on what you will settle for. You can dimple the hole and put a tapered screw in it so the surface will be flush. Or, you can do what I did and look for a new piece on ebay until you find one. Welding a hole is almost impossible, at least that's what my stainless guy says. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

suede57ford

I have had some stainless '57 Ford trim welded due to screw holes, and it has come out pretty good.   Seems like the guy tig welded it.   I was pleased.

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

wildhog

STAINLESS CAN BE WELDED AND SANDED AND BUFFED , BUT IF IT IS A COMMON PIECE IT WOULD BE CHEAPER TO BUY ANOTHER, AND WORK ON IT YOUR SELF. WHAT PIECES ARE YOU LOOKING FOR? SOME ONE ON THIS SITE MAY HAVE THE PIECES YOU ARE LOOKING FOR. TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

clubcoupe57

Thanks guys, the piece in question is the side molding that looks like a hockey stick I am going to try and repair it some how, I seen refurbished ones on e-bay $495.00, mine our pretty decent except for the 2 small holes! I might try the j b weld, see what happens thanks Mike

RICH MUISE

Ouch...your talking about the expensive ones... Assuming it's the piece that runs over the rocker panels because most everything else can be had relativly cheap.That probably changes what wildhog recommended. I would find a really good welder and make sure he's good at welding thin...I assume it's as thin as the rest of the stainless trim...stainless, and I'm also assuming you are correct in that it is stainless.. I keep thinking about the Cobra welding outfit i've seen demo'd at the swap meets several times...anyone had any experience with one of them?...seems like it would be a great welder for smaller pieces (or thinner)where heat has to be kept to a minimum
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

wildhog

CHECK WITH MORT BURTON-- BURTON ANTIQUE AUTO HE WILL SELL SEPERATE PIECES FROM HIS ROCKER MOLDING SETS. TOM
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)