News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Multi-carbed motor help needed

Started by 69supercj, 2010-07-07 07:26

Previous topic - Next topic

69supercj

Okay guys here's the deal. I've got a '58 SWB pickup with a 272 thats stuck. I'd been on the fence about what motor I was going to put in the truck as its mainly going to be a weekend cruiser/semi-daily driver. I've decided to stay with a Y-block and will probably upgrade to a 292 with 312 heads and I'd like to give it a little pizzaz when you open the hood. I'm not going to go crazy as far as exotic stuff and high horsepower, I want it reliable with just a little pop. I'd like to go with a 3 duece setup but my concern is it'll be over-carbed for a mild build motor. Can or will the 3 duece setup work with a modestly built motor? Thanks for any and all advice!!

shopratwoody

The 3-2's will work fine with progressive linkage.
I hate blocksanding!

69supercj

What cam would work good with a 3 duece setup? I'm not sure if I'm gonna stay with the standard trans or switch over to an auto. I'd like something with a little lope but still drivable and it will have to provide enough vacuum for power brakes.

Ford Blue blood

I put a 63 Galaxie six pack on my 73 F-100 360.  Jetted down the center carb (too many years ago to remember how far down), did the sycronized thing, vacumn gauge to set the idle mixture and got 16 MPG vice the normal 14 MPG.  If you want to stay with the Y-block look at a cam with the "E" series specs.  Nice sound and plenty of low end to make it very streetable.  Nothing like multiple carbs for "eye pop"!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ford_Crazy

I ran an Edelbrock 3/2 manifold with 3 two-barrel Carters years ago on a 312.  Ran great and definitely not too much for a decent Y-block.  The key is to buy the best quality linkage you can find.  Other than the usual fuel leaks, this setup runs great and looks good.   The best performance is going to be a single four barrel, but you can't beat the 2/3s for a vintage speed shop look.  If you buy a copy of Thunder Road and run the DVD real slow when Mitchum is in the barn scene, you can see the Y-block and the 3/2s on his motor.   I ran an Isky cam in that motor ground by Isky Sr. himself.  The only problem I had was I kept taking out second gear in the stock 3 speed trannys.  :002: