News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

stationary back side glass

Started by tarheel57, 2010-07-02 22:36

Previous topic - Next topic

tarheel57

I know some of you have your back side glasses fixed stationary were they wont roll up or down.Was this a factory option on some models?Can any of you give any informatoin on doing this,or is there a kit or something that can be bought to do this?Im working on a 57 custom 300 2 door,Thanks,Tarheel 57 :unitedstates:

JPotter57

Yes it was factory optional on the 70D business coupe model.  That also included a package tray in place of the back seat, only the driver side sunvisor, and some other items.  You can check it out on John Gambill's site, www.1957ford.com, go to the models section, click on 70D Custom Business Sedan.  John also has a source for the kit to convert to stationary glass, and you can get the rubber seals from Dennis Carpenter.  I just bought this stuff and it is first rate, comes with a template to have your quarter glass cut, as it is different than the roll up glass.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

Was it factory optional on any other models? I remember seeing some real odd-ball owner special orders in 50-60s cars when dealers would fill out build sheets for customers. Surely if someone wanted them in a 300 series custom and was willing to put down a deposit the factory might have complied. Anyone know for sure?

Glad to now have a rubber source for my side glass. Stock stuff is pretty well shot atthis time. :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

Zap...ya gotta order yourself a dennis carpenter catalog. They not only are the producers of much of the rubber items you see at other vendors, they manufacture a bunch of parts made from original ford tooling, such as mirrors, handles for everything, hubcaps, ect.
www.dennis-carpenter.com
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

Yup, bought lots of stuff from Dennis when I was building my 51, may even have an old 57 catalog stashed away someplace. Really need to get a new one.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

Aparently my side glass is tempered rather than laminated, since there is no film visible at the edges. I bought them from one of the vendors (vintage I think) a few years back. According to my local glass guy that I talked to to have them shortened, that can't be done if they are tempered. I think he is probably correct but was wondering if anyone had any experience with this. Has anyone had newer glass cut to suit the 70D install rather than your original glass? I thought it could be done on a belt sander>

tarheel57

Rich,he is correct.Once the glass has been tempered,its done far as changing its size.All tempered glass should have the small marking in one of the corners close to the edge.If you try to cut it after its tempered the glass will go into about a thousand little pieces,and this can also happen by just trying to pollish the edges.on tempered glass it is cut to size and polished before they temper it.In my twentys i worked for a glass co. for about five and ahalf years.Hope this helps,and guys thanks for the information on the fixed stationary rear windows.Tarheel 57 :unitedstates:

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the confimation...guess I need to order new glass to replace my new glass..damn.