News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Door rattles

Started by ptwood, 2010-08-30 13:22

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Had to go out and look before I went to work...there won't be any problem with the "roller" on the rotor of the 57 mercury latch, so it still looks like it'll work.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

Rich. i have most of the canadian 1957 service bulletins,special service letters,and service letters.i also have most of 58 and 59.i also have most of the 57 US product service letters.lots of information,glad i could help

ptwood

Thank you Rich, Gary.
1st yes my car was restored years ago in Montana..and I do not believe there is a shim behind the striker plate as mentioned and shown in the documents.. I have owned the car only 2 months now and -  the restore was fair to midland IMO. many places I am finding the previous owner used substitute screws, parts, possibley the wrong year or left some off... seems like they took short cuts which I am slowly dealing with. and it was repianted and I believ it was disassbled based on the paint job which actually went from the original white to the red/black combo...
It's a nice looking car it just needs some more love..
and the rattle it has been like this since I bought it,  I am only noticing it more now as I drive the car more etc.
Gary I will review thouroughly the shared info.. looks like I shoudl just buy a new striker..and I guess the shims.. I was a bit confused by the drawing with the washer but I'll review more as I continue this fix and I do not think there are bumper Rich, so another small detail to deal with.
Peter

RICH MUISE

here's some pics of where the bumpers go in case the holes on your car were filled

RICH MUISE

and a pic od my old worn out door latch showimg the worn out hole in the rotor hood. The first one is the original '57 and the second one is the nos mercury latch. The hole on the mercury latch is tighter than it looks in the pic because of the shadow cast around the hole on the right makes it look elongated in the pic, but it is not.

canadian_ranchero

Quote from: ptwood on 2010-09-02 13:47
Thank you Rich, Gary.
1st yes my car was restored years ago in Montana..and I do not believe there is a shim behind the striker plate as mentioned and shown in the documents.. I have owned the car only 2 months now and -  the restore was fair to midland IMO. many places I am finding the previous owner used substitute screws, parts, possibley the wrong year or left some off... seems like they took short cuts which I am slowly dealing with. and it was repianted and I believ it was disassbled based on the paint job which actually went from the original white to the red/black combo...
It's a nice looking car it just needs some more love..
and the rattle it has been like this since I bought it,  I am only noticing it more now as I drive the car more etc.
Gary I will review thouroughly the shared info.. looks like I shoudl just buy a new striker..and I guess the shims.. I was a bit confused by the drawing with the washer but I'll review more as I continue this fix and I do not think there are bumper Rich, so another small detail to deal with.
Peter
i have never used a washer as a shim.ford must have thought it worked better,as ford put it in a bulletin to send to the dealers

ptwood

Hi guys
I looked at the star wheel and it wiggles, the hole is larger not as much as yours but larger.. I may have found a replacement too..
thanks for all the added help.
I will double check for bumpers .
Stay tuned hoping this fix will solve my problem.

jdlafayette

Hi Guys, I am in the middle of building my 57 htp and after reading about latch problems I checked mine. They are loose like the ones on your car. Has anyone changed a 57 to street rod bear claw type latches or ones from a late model car? I know thats not original but for a hot rod 57 would it work? thanks John.