News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Assembley paint markings

Started by JimNolan, 2010-09-20 17:48

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
    I was stripping paint off the firewall of my 63 Galaxie using a cheap stripper. I discovered paint markings on the firewall after removing a layer of paint. The markings on the firewall were 67 4089 in the center of the firewall. 089 on the drivers side.  The leter A on the drivers side and the number 5 circled. The passenger side had PAINTOK   W-10 also. I understand the 4089 because my cars assembly number is 114089. But, the A, 5 and 67 I don't understand. Is anyone on here educated in assembley line markings. Thanks, Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Bubba

I believe they were inspectors' marks indicating final acceptance of the vehicle.
FYI on a lot of GM muscle cars and pickups if those marks, usually made in white grease pencil or black depending upon the underhood color, a restoration isn't considered correct unless those marks are present.  Don't know for sure about Ford markings.  But those firewall markings are usually inspectors' marks.
BuBBa

Zapato

Yup, the restorer types will document all those markings and when the car is restored they replicate them. Remember reading an article years ago showing how to make stamps out of common items such as potatoes. The grease pencil checks tend to disappear much faster if the owners ever washed under the hood. I've run into online sites that had examples of many mostly GM markings.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72