News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

C6 conversion

Started by Edsel58, 2010-10-05 15:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Edsel58

I just found a C6 to put behind the FE in my car instead of the Cruiso-Matic. Ive heard that a C6 flexplate and a later starter is nesesary and that the transmount will have to be refabricated. What else will I need, what about the yoke and the shift linkage?

Johan

Ford_Crazy

I've seen and ridden in a bunch of '57 FE C6 conversions and it's a piece of cake.  FE's came with T-10s, Toploaders, C6s and many other Ford transmissions behind them.  Because the C6 came out in 66, you'll need the later 3 hole starter, matching flywheel and flexplate.  I doubt you'll need a new trans cross member.  Just turn the motor mounts around and you should be good to go.  You may need to swap the rubber trans mount around a little, but this is not a big deal. A bigger problem is the headers.  The cheapest all Ford swap would be to use stock Ford 390 GT iron manifolds.  They will fit the FE in a '57 with an automatic fine.  No such luck with a stick unless you want to use a hydraulic clutch.  You can even use the stock '57 automatic column shift linkage if you want (the detends are a little different as the C6 is a 3 speed).  The coolest shifter I have seen in this application is an early mustang automatic shifter mounted on the floor. You'll probably need a custom drive shaft too. What's so cool about the C-6 is that it's a way better trans and you can't tell it's in there without going under the car.  We used to run a C6 in a pure stock 63 406 Galaxie and the NHRA tech guys never found out.  They were mostly GM guys anyway and wouldn't know a C6 if it fell on them. :005:

rmk57

What would you have to do to keep the original column shifter and use the 1st 2nd Drive pattern?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Ford_Crazy

As I remember, you connect the stock shift lever to the C6 shift bracket on the C6.  The detents are in the trans, so it works fine.  The column indicator would be wrong, but you can deal with that. 

rmk57

I'm doing a C-6 swap to but with a 460 not an F-E. Thanks I'll try that.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

bossguy

My son is at the begining of swapping a 69 429/C6 into his 59 Edsel along with the 69 Marquis disc brake, booster, prop valve. He has the 59 2spd a/t crossmember and the 69 marquis cross member to work with but hasn't gotten to that point yet. I understand Crites makes a cross member for this swap.
BTW we're going to try 88  460 f250 motormounts to install the engine. Looks like everything will line up.

Ford_Crazy

I know Crites sells the 429/460 mounts for a 57 Ford.  The crossmember they sell is necessary to clear their headers.   One of the big problems with a big block in an early ford is header clearance around the transmission crossmember.  My 57 has an FE motor, a 4 speed and the stock clutch linkage.  I tried GT exhaust manifolds, CJ exhaust manifolds and a couple sets of tube headers.  All had clearance issues with either the clutch linkage or the transmission crossmember. I finally bought a set of headers from FPA in Seattle.  Very high quality and fit with no issues.  I think they sell a set for the 385 motors.  You may want to call Stan and talk to him.  Their website is http://www.fordpowertrain.com

shopratwoody

I used FPA headers on my 429 C6 set up.I like them. I had to
use the shorties with the low car.
I hate blocksanding!