Tech warning regarding radial tires on bias designed wheels

Started by RAWms, 2006-12-20 12:04

Previous topic - Next topic

RAWms

I'm a member of the Early Ford V8 Club; Fords 1932 to 1953 (Flatheads).   In the current edition of the V8 Times there is a Tech Tip that I have scanned but is not readable so will re-type below the salient points. If you would like the complete article PM with an e-mail address.

The warning is regarding radial tires and disc brakes when the rims/wheels were originally engineered for bias ply tires.   One of the symptoms occurred to me several years ago was loosing the left front hup cap in right turns on a '57 sedan delivery. 

Be safe, r

In response to a letter from a V-8 member,

"...   He was going to order radial tires from Diamond Back Classic Tire Co. for his 1950 convertible.  Before he did, he read in OLD CARS WEEKLY a question that was sent in.  The question was in regards to a 1956 mercury that had bias ply tires?  He had new radials mounted and balanced.  The front hub caps would come off while driving especially the left front on right turns.  He asked, "Should I replace the wheel rims with a heavier type?"

Answer – Try losing (your) life with this problem.  Rims for bias-ply tires, even disc, brake rims are made out of different alloys.  Rims for bias-ply tires cannot use radials and bias and simple radial-ply rims cannot be used for disc brakes.

The forces exerted by bias-versus radial ply tires (as well as disc brakes) are different and need rims made specific to each application.  When using radial tires on bias-ply rims, the rims overflex.  This means metal fatigue breakage (most usually rim bead separation and deadly accidents).

So far I haven't heard of any failure by any car in the V-8 club."

The article goes on requesting input to contact the author.

Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

57AGIN

R.:

I assume the article is referring to stock production type rims?  How about after market rims, like Cragar SS rims or American Torque Thrusts?  This would certainly be good for all of us to know.

Bob
57AGIN

custom300fe

I heard of this a number of years ago. If I remember right it was to do with the older rims being rivited more than it had to do with the composition /strength of the steel.

Disclaimer: I sometimes don't remember very well.  :BangHead:

Custom 300 2dr
390 + 30
Edelbrock Heads
Ported Street Dominator, 750 DP
Crites 2" Long tube Headers
C-6
3:55 Trac-Loc

RAWms

To be balanced, the head of Diamond Tire made an argument in the same issue of V-8 Times that this is somewhat a myth.  His discussion states that radials are actually friendlier to rims as they are considerably more flexible than bias-ply.  He also states that bias-ply can damage rims more quickly with chuck holes, etc., because of their rigidity which is inherant in their design. 

I still remember popping the left front full size hub cap in right turns though. 

r :deadhorse:

Time working or driving your ride is NOT subtracted from your life clock.

...as of Apr 2007

smurfee

OK, SMURFEE finally made it back - what a trip?? now how do I get my profile set up again & how do I get all my pictures back of my ride ??? & all the posts I had made before, sure could use some help on this :icon_bigsmurf:
NEVER LOOK BACK

57 Ford Kustom

Smurfee  You have to re do your profile from scratch :crybaby2:, I transfered my picture from the old site before it was disabled :angel12:, and what do you mean by your old post? :dontknow:

T 8)M    :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

smurfee

Hi 57 KUSTOM, all the old posts we had shared before about differant things & where do I go to redo my profile & how do I repost my pictures? a computer person I'm not, SMURFEE :icon_bigsmurf:
NEVER LOOK BACK

57 Ford Kustom

Smurfee  Click on the profile button than click on forumn profile info and go at it , pictures posted the sameway as before. as far as old post James is getting some over from the last site and the first 2 forumns I have taged as favorites if you don't have them here they are  http://p079.ezboard.com/b1957fords98638  and   http://57fordsforever.com/ :horseapples:

T 8)M  :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

wolfpupsdad

in all my years of hot rodding and playing around cars (40+ years) i've only seen a rim come apart once and it was ugly. radials do flex more then pias ply tires to , by design for a more comfy ride and ground hugging effect , their for don't but em on a riveted type rim, save then olf rims for planters in your front yard. even after years of wear and tear those old rivets can rust and become loose and weak , the extra pressure of a radial tire flexing can cause things to come apart. i know it happened once , it can happen again. most manufactures went to welded rims in the early 60's anyway.

57AGIN