News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

buffing out glass scratches

Started by glen courier, 2011-01-09 10:42

Previous topic - Next topic

glen courier

The rear glass on my 57 Courier has some light scratches, I would guess from scraping dirty snow. Is there a fool proof way of getting rid of them?
I tried some 3M buffing compound on the variy speed buffer with a wool pad. It shined up the glass, but I can see it will take something more aggressive.
Thanks,

Ford Blue blood

Glen try a glass shop.  There are kits out there that will clean up pretty bad scratches and I would think a glass shop would have them or at least point you in the right direction.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

A while back we had a post going on tempered glass and Tarheel input some good info, stating that he had worked in a glass shop for 5 years...maybe we can get him to add some input here.
One thing I was going to try: Harbor freight sells a package of 5 or 6 assorted grit 4" wheels that are a rubber like material impregnated with diamond dust. I've used the finer grits(600 & 1200) for getting out scratches on stainless trim. They are made to fit your 4" grinder, and seems like what you would need for glass...but just a guess.   Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

tarheel57

Glen its been over 20 years sense I work at the glass shop,but we would use a powder type compound that would mix with water.When mixed with water it would cut good enough to take out bad wiper scratches.It was kind of a kit because it came with 2 small 4" buffing wheels, one was a real soft rubber which was used first and would do most of the scratch removal and the other wheel was wool which you would then polish over it with a polishing compound made for glass.When doing the first step we always keep water lightly running over the glass to keep it from getting the glass to hot,which could cause it to crack.Very rare but it was better to be safe.Im not sure what it was called or real sure which supply co. my boss man ordered it from.Im sure you can still get this stuff,and it being 20 some years later they may have something even better now.The guy and his wife that I worked for owned the co. and about 5 years after I moved on they both retiared and closed the co.and he has sense past away.If there is any older glass shops in your area that have been around awhile they should be able to help you with this.If not, I think? the company he use to buy this kit from is -- Sommer & Maca Industries,Inc they are located in Cicero,Il. their phone # is 800-323-9200 or web site is www.somaca.com .I cant remember if they only sell to the glass industrie or to anyone.They are a large co.and have anything for the glass business.It want hurt to contact them and they should be able to get you what you need.Hope this helps a little bit,good luck.Tarheel57 :burnout:

Partsman

Try Eastwood.  They sell a kit for buffing out windshield scratches.  The compound used to buff glass is cerium oxide same stuf used to polish eyeglasses to make the RX.  We used it when I worked for American Optical years ago.
Goos luck"

Ford_Crazy

I've been looking into this myself lately.  Go to www.youtube.com and search on glass scratch removal.  You can view a number of videos on the subject which are very helpful.  It looks like the Eastwood system will work, but it takes a lot of time and effort.  Also, you will need more disks than come in their kit. My glass man told me removing heavy scratches can cause the glass to distort in the area you are grinding.  I suspect this would be a problem if the scratch is in the line of vision.