News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Woods Brothers

Started by JimNolan, 2011-02-21 08:22

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Congratulations to the Woods Bros. and Trever Bayne. My father-in-law used to drive a car in competition with one of their motors in it. He competed nightly with the Revenuers in Virginia. He said the engine was blueprinted and balanced, had three duces with a 3/4 race cam and high compression. Back then he was running flat head engines in early Ford cars. He said he was chased often but never caught on the road. He was finally caught at home in the middle of the night with about two onces of whiskey in a jug he had. One of his customers ratted him out. He served his 13 months in Bland County Correctional and when released he watched the house of the guy that ratted on him go up in flames. They never found out who started that fire. The biggest misconception I had about running moonshime was that there was a thrill in it. My father-in-law thought that was funny. He said there's no thrill in doing a job when you know that failure results in death or confinement. He said he fed his family that way and driving was the only thing he could do good. Again, congratulations to the Fords. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JPotter57

Woods Bothers have been around for a long time.  I watched their Mercurys back in the day with David Pearson then later Neil Bonnet driving.  They always had strong equipment.  Its good to see someone besides jimmy johnson or tony stewart win.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

rmk57

David Pearson, now that was a driver. 574 starts, 105 wins. Daytona, Talladega are at best a crap shoot to see who's going to survive the "big one".
I'm a Carl Edwards fan and good to see he had a strong finish to.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

shopratwoody

The 21 winning is good for the owners and driver. Perfect :003:
I hate blocksanding!

bossguy

Agreed Ron, I lost interest in nascar in the 70's and the cot is a cruel joke. Yesterdays finish could not have been better. I have Roush Fenway on my facebook page and they had a series of pics on sat with Trevor talking to the Woods and it was like a young boy talking with his Granddad. Another pic of the Mr and Mrs Wood in IHOP having breakfast on their 60th wedding anniversary. Over on the Boss 302 site they have conspiracy theory guys saying the nascar script called for Dale jr to win and I was so happy when that didn't happen. Great Job Wood Brothers and Trevor!

briney

Breaker Breaker! Buddy Baker! Had a wife but couldn't take her..!! NASCAR is DEAD!!!

Patrick  Dallas   :unitedstates:
If it won't fit, force it.
If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.

Ford Blue blood

Yup....fuel injection next year......following year no fenders........following year tellemitry and front tire spoilers....omg we're talking Indy....need to have the manufactureres in the hunt!  Every piece of sheet metal needs to have a factory part number on it, NASCAR can have the nose, the rear of the car needs to be as produced by the factory.....Toyoto and Ford have an OHV V-8 in production autos?

The "stock" has been out of stock car racing for so long we have forgotten where we came from.  Just like the NSRA and Good Guys, their roots are in us....not the high buck builders.  Can we take control?  Not going to happen....too much money involved.  So I just go on my merry way and build what I want and drive it!

I'm done now :deadhorse:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

I stopped watching NASCAR when the cars stopped looking like stock cars, around `85 or 86.  Todays NASCAR rides are like watching Funny Cars...dont look anything like what they are supposed to be.  Thats why I love me some sportsman drag racing.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford Blue blood

I do have to say I did send an email to NASCAR advising them how to get back into the hunt.  Mentioned that they should probably charge more for tickets.  Get with the hotels in the "race town" and jack the rates even higher  :deadhorse:  and for those of us that can't afford the already out of sight ticket prices and choose to stay home (T-dega is 35 miles away) and watch the race on Fox or Speed just add a few more comercials to the broadcast.  With just a litle luck you too can have a "race free comercial".  Sorry for the cynicism but they (NASCAR) have yet to respond.  Guess they figure I must just be another radical.......... :003:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Frankenstein57

Congrats to the woods bros, couldn't happen to a better group of racers. That kid drove his ass off!  Mark

JimNolan

Guys,
   I too hated to see the old stock car disappear. Those were the good ole days. This new COT car isn't anything like the old 57-90 cars we saw out on the track. I'm a nascar nut I guess, I just keep hanging in there. But, I thought I'd e-mail some of the actual drivers from back then and see what they thought about the new COT car. I'll let you know what they say about it. Here's a list of the drivers I'm going to try and get in touch with. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

wildhog

I DON'T KNOW IF ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE HAD THE PLEASURE OF MEETING GLEN AND LENORD WOOD, LIKE I HAVE. A COUPLE OF FINE GENTELMEN, THAT KNOW HOW TO BUILD A FAST FORD!! WAY TO GO WOOD BROTHERS
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

tarheel57

I have met them a few years ago at a tour of their shop in Va.That hole group is super nice and down to earth people.Last year (sept.) I got to meet David Pearson at the Shades of the Past show in Pigeon Forge Tenn.,he had a 40 ford coupe out there. All of the Woods Brothers original shops and their New Museum is only about 30 minutes from my house,but their Cup team works out of one of the shops now in Charlotte. Great bunch of guys and a good new young driver,would like to see them get some more wins. GO FORDS !!!  :unitedstates: :burnout: