News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

c-6tranny start-up

Started by stevewible, 2011-02-26 20:37

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewible

well,,,, here i am again, with yet another question regarding my new c-6 hooked up with a 390/406 3-speed auto the engine and tranny have never been fired they have been sitting, there is no drive line installed to the rearend. i`m concerned that the tranny ,eventhough i will fill it, but will the torque-converter have enough ? i don`t want to burn this thing up on START-UP. i`ve been told that the pumps inside with scatter the oil, so no worries. has anyone out there gone through this ? too many different stories. i`m a week away from firing this thing up. it`s got custom headers with no pipes yet. it could be a little noisy for a half-hour  thanks anyone   steve

canadian_ranchero

if you put 3 or 4 quarts in the trans,that will be enough oil in it to test run the engine and not hurt the trans.you will need to put something in the out put of the trans to keep it from leaking oil

JimNolan

Just went through this with my 390/406 with new C6 transmission and new torque converter in my 63 Galaxie. Put 5 qts of transmission fluid in the transmission, take your spark plugs out of the engine and crank it for awhile. Recheck oil level and add more. Do this 3 or 4 times and then put the spark plugs in and fire it. As SOON it's running be putting more oil in until you get the @ 13 qt's in. I was scared to just start the engine with a dry torque converter.
  If you have oil in the torque converter already you can just start it up and add oil as SOON as it starts. Jim  PS. e-mail me off line and tell me what you've got in your engine. I call mine 390/406.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.