News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

reassembly/alignment proceedure

Started by RICH MUISE, 2011-03-02 08:18

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

what is the best way to reassemble a body and get  everything aligned? I am assuming it is get the doors installed and aligned to the body first, then assemble the core support, wheelwells,fenders and splash panels and align them to the doors and cowl area with a lot of back and forth tweeking. At what point would you add the hood into the mix?  Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JimNolan

Rich,
   I think you'll find that the doors and front end have to be aligned together. As far as the hood is concerned, my front end had to be widened believe it or not. It's not difficult but it's time consuming. My body man had a fit. It's important to get the pieces to the front mount installed correctly. All this should be done before it's painted and a small 1/8" alignment hole drilled for relocation of each part after painting. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

shopratwoody

If you replace body mounts be sure to follow proper procedure.
I chose to disassemble mine and do everything it needed then
jamb it, paint front end pieces while taken apart, paint dash
etc back side of hood firewall and all Then I re assembled it and back
masked it and did the outside.That way it was easier to put back together
for me. Still not easy for an old man :dumbass:
Also inner fenders in and out etc while front end tatally taken apart :003:
I hate blocksanding!

Ford_Crazy

The correct way to perform this procedure is to disassemble the car for media blasting and body work. Then reassemble and align everything making adjustments as necessary (welding, Etc.).  Once you have all the body work and alignment perfect, drill your alignment holes and disassemble again for painting.  After painting, reassemble the car using your drilled alignment holes as a guide.  This is why a quality paint job costs as much as it does.  Most people don't understand this and are unhappy with the results...

shopratwoody

They will if they do it their self :003:
I hate blocksanding!