News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Driver Door Alignment Problems?

Started by 57AGIN, 2011-02-26 00:08

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

While Rick and I were over talking to Santini about prepping my 57, Rick pointed out what may be a common problem with our 57 Fords, the alignment problem at the front of the driver's door where it may actually rub the area near the windshield at the corner of the cowl and front fender.  Picture attached

Rick said it was a problem on his 57 Custom 300 and Santana says it was common with both the 57 Fords and Chevy's (wonder if the same guy making the stamping machinery worked for both companies?).  Anyway, I'm told it is a relatively simple fix for the body man.  Just grind a little off both the door and the area it almost touches and then if necessary weld any holes created and finish the areas off to create a decent gap (note- the rest of the gaps around the driver door on my car were equal and about 1/8").  You might want to check yours out, to see if it is something you could correct at your car's next painting.   I wonder if this is a problem on the other 57 Ford models?  Also, it may not be a big deal, I'd never have thought about it except for having the car painted now and it certainly hasn't caused any problems in the last 54 years.

Bob
57 AGIN

wv 57s forever

had same problem with my custom, don't remember what i did though

57AGIN

Attached is a picture of the repaired driver door gap problem.  They used a grinder and took a little off the pillar near the bottom.  Problem solved now the gap is consistent.

Bob
57 AGIN