News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

proper storage for used radiator

Started by RICH MUISE, 2011-03-02 07:59

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Last year I brought the radiator I had built with a h.d. core and used for 6 monthe prior to disassembling my '57 to a shop for testing and tanking to clean it out before refinishing. To my surprise the core was no good...leaking all over. The shop owner told me it was because it had been used, and then put away dry for several years. He said that was the worst thing to do with a radiator.
So my question is, if you have a good radiator in a car you are going to disassemble, what is the best way to store it so it doesn't decay?  Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

shopratwoody

Was it aluminum? I've never had a problem with mine. That
doesn't sound right.
I hate blocksanding!

JimNolan

Rich,
   You've got a very smart shop owner there. I think his workmanship is in question but he's definately smart. All kidding aside, I'd believe about anything when it comes to the original 57 Ford radiator if that's what you got. I've never had luck with them. The tank area was a weak design that continually had problems staying sealed. My radiator guy even put in stiffners and that didn't do any good. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

RICH MUISE

It's one of those shops that's the one in town that's been there forever...seems to be a good shop.The radiator was the original factory 6 cylinder one. I had it rebuilt with a new core when I was in Colorado, and used it in the car for about 6 months before disassembly. I brought it to the radiator shop to have it cleaned out so I get it painted and put away for reassembly day, and had asked them to check it for leaks before boiling it out, and not to do anything if it didn't check out good because I would probably be going with a Griffen Aluminum if it meant putting big bucks in the old radiator.
I thought it was the owner that had given me the info on rapid decay if a used radiator is just yanked and set aside, but maybe it was the janitor. ??? Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Bubba

Bros:
While we're on the topic of radiators, can anyone furnish me with the core dimensions of the HD radiator used in the 57"s.  I would like to compare those dimensions with the dimensions of the radiator that's in my 63A now.  Just need the height and width of the core only, not including the tanks.  For what it worth, a freind of mine has run several FE engines in his 57 he swears by the Speedway Motors universal aluminum radiators for Fords.  Never had an overheating problem or failure and they're inexpensive.
BuBBa