News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

to paint or not to paint that is my question

Started by ptwood, 2011-03-23 15:49

Previous topic - Next topic

ptwood

I know this is a personal decision based on cost etc etc..
fyi I have a 1957 2 Door HT 63A body , the paint is good no rust dents etc, I don't know what to use as a reference but certainly it is not new, there are small chips etc considering the last paint job was 20+ years ago, a few gearheads and car buff friends who know a lot more than I do say I should not paint and save my $$, could be some hidden stuff I will not want to know and could add to the costs.. nothing is obvious the panels are solid, I see some small pin  holes in 1 rocker panel beneath the pass door (previous owner did not paint the underside (Duh???)..
I have spent a lot of time, money etc on bringing the car back from a mediocre redo by the past owner(s) However I realize paintin the car - (2 color ) is a major investment. I'd love to paint my car but with an assumption of upwards of $5-10K (I have no estimates at all) I am just curious on what others have used to paint their cars. I did not get the car cheap so that is what friends have pointed out.. it';s one thing to take a low cost car and even with paint after a full resto the cost is within reason, with paint my total would put it around $30K...
The other thing that has had me on the fence is the new interior has not been installed and I will add some final trim pieces once the interior is done , so if anytime was best to paint it seems now would be best .
any comments will be appreciated.

hogwagon

Totally personal decision on this. Too many factors and a couple of pictures may help on opinions. Are you planning on ever selling and if not money value is not part of the equation. Do you love the car and are unhappy with the paint. Do you like to go into shock everytime a stroller or shopping cart gets within 10 feet of the car at cruise night. We have had cars with nice new paint and a couple that have nice new engines and old paint. Found I am more of a gear head that likes decent looks and extra throttle but that's me. Some people wax door jams at the car show and line up tire valve stems and love it. The 30K number will barely buy a new car you like that will be worth 19k before you know it.

RICH MUISE

Pt...Sounds like your car is in really nice shape, so the question here is what are you looking for? If you are wanting it perfect, the only way to know for sure that it is is to be prepared to open that can of worms, and be prepared for worst case scenario. It sounds like you'd be farming out the work to a body shop, and if that's the case you may easily get in to double your high end estimate even if it doesn't require major panel replacement. A quality repaint is going to require major disassembly to complete, as with '57agin's redo project.
If you are reasonably sure you have a sound body, you may just elect to keep your fingers crossed and go with a good repaint that will be more in line with your guestimate, and give you the end result you're looking for.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

ptwood

Thanks guys.
it is tough and you point out things I need to consider... the can of worms is the missing link...
I would like the shiny newness, but would nervous about that 1st scratch, I know how I am with my new cars.. I am kind of a fanatic... but maybe not so unlike many others here..
How do i share a few photos. I'd love some feedback from the 57's forum... what better place to have a real review..
Let me know and I will post some of my work and photos of the car

RICH MUISE

PT..look under general discusion..a while back I did a post on resizing and posting pics you should find helpful. I just did a reply on the thread to bring it back to the top. Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

TexasFordGuy

Here is a free easy to use online photo editor http://www.picnik.com/.  It is about as easy as it gets to use.
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100

Bubba

Bros:
WOW, that a tough personal decision that only the owner can make.
As others have contributed here you've got to decide what's right for you.
Show quality paint?
Cruiser quality paint?
Daily driver quality paint?
How long do you plean to keep your ride?
how do you want to finish it?
Factory Original?
Restored Original?
Resto Mod?
Radical Custom?
$30,000 in today's car market is not a huge number and the value of your 57 will apprecaite as opposed to a new car whose resale value plummets as soon as you leave the dealers lot.
BuBBa-Just my $.02 Worth!!!

Ford_Crazy

If your car has decent paint with no rust bubbles popping up underneath, I would seriously consider leaving it alone.  I have $8,000 worth of paint and body work in my car and I left the original door handles and panels.  There's something about 50 year old patina that's very cool.  I don't know how old you are, but I never saw a perfectly new 1957 Ford in my life.  I grew up in a world where 57 Fords were $200 cars and we bought 'em, made hot rods out of 'em and I loved every one.  I painted my car because the original paint was faded and my wife said she wouldn't ride with me unless I fixed it up.  If Mom's not happy, no one is happy....   :burnout: