News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Custom Sun Visors?

Started by Ford_Crazy, 2011-02-27 07:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford_Crazy

Does anyone sell the non-padded cardboard sunvisors that came on my 57 Custom?

JPotter57

You may try Macs.  I'm not sure if they have them for `57s, but they did keep them for 49-51s not too long ago.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

look on page 206 of the classicautoparts online catalog. They have a new set of molded visers for '57 passenger cars, excluding convert and retrac. Their cardboard visors don't go up to '57. Not exactly what you're looking for, but maybe close enough. Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

any luck finding the cardboard versions?

Ford_Crazy

Not yet.  Have been occupied with other issues.  If anyone finds them, please let us know.  Thanks!

RICH MUISE

Got to thinking about these and I'm wondering if there were different versions of the non-padded visors. The pair I have are not "cardboard", they are masonite with the - I assume - vinyl covering long gone. My car only had a drivers side visor..I found a passenger side in a ranch wagon in a salvage yard.  Rich

Ford_Crazy

UPDATE.  It seems there are only two aftermarket cardboard sunvisors available.  I ordered both to see which one works better.  The early Ford cardboard visors (49-51) are small like the 57 Custom visors, but they have a strange angle to them that would rub against the headliner with long use. The other choice is an early sixties visor.  These are the same shape and size as the 57 padded visor.  They are longer than the stock 57 Custom visors, but don't look bad. You wouldn't know they are wrong, unless you are familiar with the 57 Custom style.  Both are painted a nice shade of gray and match the gray felt Custom headliner perfectly.

fordaholic

This is a little off topic; Rich I have a question for you. Is your car a 70D ? If it is, can you tell me if the radio delete and clock delete should be black or chrome (silver) ? And ford crazy , will you let us know which one works the best and where you got it.      Cheers  Gary

Ford_Crazy

I think the later (early sixties) cardboard visor is better.  It's a little longer, but the shape is right.  By-the-way, my radio and clock delete plates are chrome plastic.

RICH MUISE

Mine is a 70A, I'm just converting the back side windows to stationary 70D style. the clock delete in my 70a was also chrome. I've never seen black. Ford crazy...I'd sure like to see a pic of the 60's style visor. Is it vinyl covered? Did you ever look at the molded ones at classic? Also, I'm curious abohe fabric on your headliner. You mentioned felt, but is it brushed cotton similar to the new car fabrics? It's hard too tell what the fabric is in your pics, but it sure looks good.
If I give up on my molded one piece idea for the headliner, I'll have to get a traditional one made, but i don't want the vinyl look.   Rich

Ford_Crazy

Here's a link to a picture of the early sixties cardboard sunvisor installed in my 70A.  http://www.lakefrontflorida.com/57ford/pics/sunvisor.jpg

I bought it from Dearborn Classics, which is now Ecklers.  My headliner came from Lebaron Bonney.  It's the correct headliner for my car.  It's gray and brushed cotton.

tarheel57

Does anyone have the correct dimensions of a pair of stock 57 custom 300 non-padded cardboard type sun visors? (length & width). All I have is the bracket with the rod ,the rest is gone. Thanks,Tarheel57 :burnout:

RICH MUISE

Tarheel...my old ones are uncovered,the original fabric long gone, but the masonite is intact. I'll check them out and take some measurements, or if you prefer I could trace the ouline and mail it to you. If that's what you'd prefer, pm me your address.
Ford crazy..I don't know why I had it in my head the original fabric was vinyl, because I now remember ripping off some of the old decayed fabric that was hanging down so I could see where I was going! from the pic of the sun visor linked above, I got to looking at your windlace and it appears smaller in the pic than the bulky windlace that is stock. were you able to come up with an alternative to the stock type windlace, or does it just look smaller in the pic? I'm asking because I was trying to come up with something smaller and less intrusive for my custom interior.
I often wondered if that windlace actually functioned as an air seal in addition to the rubber seals, or if it was just there to hide the door frame edges.

tarheel57

Thanks Rich,If you could just give me the measurements of the masonite and that would be great.Im going to the spring autofair/swapmeet (4 days,huge) thursday morning thru sunday at the charlotte motor speedway.I will have a tape rule with me and if I cant find a pair of 57 custom 300 original ones,then I can measure and find something close that will work. Thanks,Tarheel57 :unitedstates:

Ford_Crazy

The outline of the original 70A sunvisor that came with my car is about 21" x 6". It's not a perfect rectangle. I can send you a tracing also if you need it.  The windlace in my car came with the Lebaron Bonney headliner.  I think it looks about as close to original as it gets.