News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Tire Balance

Started by JimNolan, 2011-05-08 20:09

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

Guys,
   Does the pavement you drive on affect the vibration you may get from your tires on an interstate highway. I swear today going and coming back from Coldwater, Mich the pavement on I69 made my front end vibrate at speeds over 65mph. At 70 in some places the front end vibrated like the wheels were out of balance and on some sections of road there wasn't any vibration at 70mph. Bear in mind that there was no vibration under 65mph on any type pavement. On the really smooth sections of highway there was no vibration, I had it up to 80 on those sections a few times. But, on other sections the vibration started at 70mph and stayed with me until I slowed down to 65mph. Am I right about this or just confused. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

geraldchainsaw

hi Jim,   i've had the same thing happen going up to Gaylord using I-75,  stopped at a garage and asked where to get some tire repairs,  he asked if i had been on a centain section of I-75 and said yes,   he then said not to worry about it,  its the road,  and he was right,  i left Gaylord and got back on I-75 and the tires were fine,  so i would say, yes, it can be the roads,    jerry

Ford Blue blood

Jim we have a section of 59 north of town that does the same thing with the Mustang, the 36 and the truck are fine but on that section you think there is a loose wheel....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JimNolan

Guys,
   After posting this thread I started searching the internet about vibration relating to different types of pavement and found that this is apparently common on all kinds of cars. Old pavement seemed to be the worse and new pavement and concrete seemed to be the best to ride on. I didn't know that. I've had drive shaft and wheel balance vibrations before. But I've never noticed vibration coming and going on what looked like good pavement.
   Some tire (experts) were asking people that inquired about this problem, which part of China were the tires made at. They were talking about Goodyear tires. They also listed tires that couldn't be used in places that had very hot weather during the summer. I didn't even know Goodyear and Firestone tires came from China. I always stayed away from tires like Yokohama, Firelli, Sumitomo, Kumho etc. because I wanted tires made in the USA. No wonder we have 5% unemployment. ( I know it's 10% but you always have 5% that won't work regardless).
   Thanks guys for confirming I'm not confused (this time). Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.