News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Air/heat bulkhead location

Started by RICH MUISE, 2011-05-03 09:23

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Any of you guys have any suggestions on where to locate the vintage air aftermarket air conidtioning/heater firewall bulkhead. I want to keep the engine compartment as clean and uncluttered as posible. My original heater openings have all been welded shut, so I have a little leaway. I bought the square pattern bulkhead.Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich my plan is to run the lines under the battery box (A/C compressor is low mounted pass side) into the fender well, up over the control arm and just under the lip on the top of the fender then into the passenger compartment where the factory air return air would be.  Use "O" ring fittings on both sides for trouble free connections and you have a straight in shot to the unit.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Sorry Bill, I didn't see your reply until today while I was lloking for something else. My car didn't have factory air, so I don't know where the "factory air return" would have been.  thanks, Rich

Ford Blue blood

Rich it is high on the passenger side foot well.  Maybe this will help....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

I had forgotten you were the one with the big hole in the side wall I had never seen before...thanks for reposting that. I had been thinking of installing the bulkhead on the side to keep the firewall clean, but I was trying to figure out if it would be even posible to get to the bulkhead after the fender was on. After the car is painted and assembled I guess at some point in time when I do the engine install the nose will have to come back off anyway, so I could install the hoses at that time. I guess I'm just worried about creating an access nightmare in case I needed to replace a hose. I'm just thinking outloud here, but I guess since the bulkhead is held to the firewall with nuts on the fitting on the inside, if one needed to replace a hose, the four hoses could be removed from the inside and the bulkhead let loose, but how hard would it be to get it back into it's location. lol...My head hurts..like Jim Nolan said... I'm gonna break a blood vessel in my brain thinking this thru.   rich

Ford Blue blood

Jim with the fenders on you can reach under and back as the inner dips down.  Put the bulk head fitting on and hook up the hoses later.  The fittings are different sizes so no worry of mixing them up.  The inside will be easier than the outside.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

thanks for that...my headache went away.   Rich