News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Gold Trim alternatives?

Started by Alex L., 2011-06-02 21:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex L.

Has anybody thought of using some other kind of thin decorative sheet in place of the gold trim pieces? You could accent your paint job in some other interesting way. 

Frankenstein57

I think there was some posts awhile back on this, a good custom painter could make something out of the space. While we are on the subject, I removed the stainless and gold trim on the ranchero to repaint one quarter panel, any problems using stainless polish on the gold? I have been using mothers mag wheel and trim polish so far.  Mark

RICH MUISE

Alex... Consider no panels at all as an alternative also..has a really clean look imho.
Mark..Just be carefull not to use anything abrasive on it...and most polishes are abrasive. The aluminum panels are anodized, and anodizing, though somewhat durable, is nowhere near the abrasive resistance of chrome. Eventually you'll remove a noticable amount of anodizing. I would experiment with cleaners, rather than polishes,and a microfibre towel.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Alex L.

i hadn't thought of that. However, i know i have some imperfections under the gold panels.

i also hadn't thought of the custom paint idea. i know someone who could maybe paint some blue flames on a cut out pieces of metal, airbrushed or something.

RICH MUISE

or an awesome mural of Halifax harbor...
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Lou

About 15 years ago I restored a 57 and for the gold trim I went to an art store and found some gold foil paper. I glued the paper to the old gold panels them sprayed 3 coats of clear coat on all sides. I sold the car about 5 years ago and the gold still looked good even after I had been caught in the rain 3 or 4 times.

Alex L.

"An awesome mural of Halifax Harbour"

with or without "stink waves", turds, condoms and tampon applicators?