News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Any good articles on installing headliners out there?

Started by johns2000, 2011-05-31 11:48

Previous topic - Next topic

johns2000

Anyone who can point me to a good article on headliner installation or give me some good pointers from their own experience would be great. It's a wagon but should be basically the same.

Ford Blue blood

Not familiar with the wagon...assuming it has bows and a cloth/vinyl headliner.  If so the rear bow should have two "hooks" that will capture the rear most bow and tighten up as the headliner is pulled forward.  If so, hook them up, put all the bows in place throught the loops in the headliner, go to the front and pull the center as tight as you can.  Work out from the center up front pulling both to the side and the front.  Do this to about 3/4s the way across then go to the rear bow and pull to the sides being carefull not to "off center" the headliner, work your way to the front and start again.  It will require several trips from rear to front to get it to look nice and wrinkle free.  If the front windshield is out it is much easier as you can clip the headliner to the pinch weld rather then stapling it, until and when all is smooth and taught then staple it to the front tack strip.  After you are happy with the parts you have been pulling and tugging on go to the back and pull the last section tight starting from the center and staple it to the tack strip. 

This is a quick and dirty, don't know of any links to demostrate but I have used that process on two Rancheros and a Mustang and a Galaxie.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Lou

Convertible tops, and headliners are two jobs I always send out to a profesionals, there are too many ways that I can screw it up.

johns2000

Thanks Blue blood, sounds logical and yes I do have the windshield out.

Zapato

John, I haven't done a search for installing a headliner but often when I want extra clarification I go to youtube and search for what ever project I'm working on. I like using a visual as an addition to a verbal or written explanation.

headliners are not that difficult, have done 2 in the past. don't get in any rush and if you have another person helping it can help the process go a bit faster.

Zap- :unitedstates:

Found several youtube videos, some better than others but helpful.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Frankenstein57

I was in my 58 ford shop manual tonight, they had a few pages covering it. With pictures.  Mark