News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Starting problems

Started by outcruisen, 2011-08-16 06:44

Previous topic - Next topic

outcruisen

Hi all... Just wondering if any one else has encountered the problem I seem to be having at the moment with my Fairlane 500 with the 312 and auto trans.

Seems that I have been through 3 different starter motors (2 standard and 1 $350.00 Hi Torque unit) and they are all doing the same thing. The car starts ok on a few occasions, then from no where you turn the key, you hear the starter spining, but nothing engages and the enging does not cranck over.

If you loosen the starter and shake it a little, re tighten and try again it works again a few times, then does the same thing..

Anyone else encountered this, or have any idea what the issue might be.. Going to pull off inspection plate and look tomorrow, but chances are that the ring gear has a few missing teeth and stops exactly over them each time is a bit remote I think.. And by adjusting the starter without turning the converter over shouldnt let the motor crank as the missing teeth would still be in same position.

Anyway, any ideas to look at would be much appreciated as I am a little scared to drive the old girl (After 3 years of restoration) incase she lets me down in the middle of nowhere..

Cheers

outcruisen

Checked the ring gear and all is good with no teeth missing.

Any ideas.. I am stumped..

Cheers

Hoosier Hurricane

If you still have the high torque on it, it sounds like the bendix sprag is failing and slips instead of driving the flywheel.  I can't explain how loosening and re-tightening the starter fixes it unless it is coincidence.  A failing bendix will be intermittent until it fails completely.  John

outcruisen

Being told now that it looks as though my ring gear is slightly too small for the car. Does anyone know if there was a difference in outside diameter, between the 6 and 8 cylinder cars? Maybe at some stage they were swapped and if different causing me problems now?

Being told the teeth of the starter are just catching the edge or just missing the actual ring gear. I have sourced a new convertor and ring gear from a y block customline but not sure if they are the same diameter, rev range or number of teeth..

Once again, any help is appreciated.

Cheers

outcruisen

All... Mechanic has pulled the convertor from the auto transmission and said even by eye it is noticeably out of round. When the car stops apparently it sits in 1 of 3 positions due to the engines compression. 1 of these positions has worn much more than the others meaning the starter completely misses this section of the gear when activated.. If the starter is adjusted to this point of the ring gear, it hits the other 2 sections causing damage to the starter gear.

Probably a long shot, but has any one else ever seen or herd of this (Ring gear worn in 1 section or out of round)?.. Or is my car just a freak!!!

Cheers

shopratwoody

Sounds weird to me :004:
I hate blocksanding!

Ford Blue blood

It's getting even for being driven on the wrong side of the road..... :005:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

outcruisen

Wierd sensation that wrong side of the road thing.. Car still left hand drive in a country full of right hand drive cars.. Funny when other drivers have to look twice at the lights..

Cheers