News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Assembly

Started by oldgasser, 2011-06-19 07:19

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgasser

Fellows in your experience on re-installing the front fenders & inner fenders on my 57 I'm I better off install them as one unit or install the inner fender first then the fender?
Thank you for your in-put.
Oldgasser.-(Ron)

RICH MUISE

This is a subject I also would like some input on...meant to post the question a while back and forgot.
Ron..don't know about your's, but mine was a complete teardown. Somebody a while back mentioned to make sure the body was centered on the frame, and I've done that. My assumption is that the doors have to be on and aligned first, then the radiator support.
The spacers on the center bolt of the radiator support control the height of the complete nose. I was not taking good digital photos of the car when I did the disassembly, nor did I make a note of how the 3 radiator support spacers were positioned, so I guess I'll have to do a trial and error thing with that, and change them on final adjustment if necessary.
From there I have the same question as you, and also wondering at what point the grille splash guards are easiest to install...I know this stuff all gets sandwiched together. Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

oldgasser

Hello Rich:
I do hope the fellows will give us some of their input in our dilemma of the right & wrong way of reassembly which I'm sure they will if I do find anything out they may help us both I will post it to let you know.
Oldgasser (Ron)

shopratwoody

On mine I assembled the front end before it was put back on. Worked for me that way. Painted
totally apart and re assembled before installed.
I hate blocksanding!

rmk57

I bolted on the splash guards on first, then hung the fenders, then the grill, otherwise you wont be able to get the grill installed without scratching up the gravel shield. I bolted up
everything loosely and then got my fender gaps right then tightend up the fenders starting from the rear working up towards the front.  Some of the bolts are tough to get at so a helper would speed things up. I dont think my car had ever been in any collision damage the front so everything lined up pretty well. If you could could assemble everything before hand it may make things easier, my garage isn't big enough for that though.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Lgcustom

The factory method was to assemble the entire front end assembly including the radiator upside down in a huge fixture. Then lift the assembly with a hoist, flip it over and drop it on the body/frame assembly. I built mine as RMK57 suggested.

oldgasser

Thank You Fellows:
Your input will sure be a great help & allot of skin saved on the knuckles.
Cheers from Oldgasser.