News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Gas Cards

Started by JimNolan, 2011-06-19 18:31

Previous topic - Next topic

JimNolan

I watched on TV the commercials discribing how much you could save on Credit Card Purchases if you got the Rewards type credit cards. Well, I got one from Discover. Pay's 2% back for all purchases that have anything to do with travel. I thought this is great, instead of paying cash or using a regular credit card I'll use this one for Restaurants, Gasoline and Motels. Well, I went to Pa. for a week and put about $1500.00 on the credit card. I thought to myself, that's $30.00 I saved. My monthly bill came in and it said I'd accumulated $5.00 in Cash rewards and as soon as I collected $50.00 in rewards I could redeem it.
   I called them to ask why I hadn't gotten more Rewards than that and found out that the limit of Rewards was $250.00 a month. Soooo, it'd take you 10 months to get a $50 reward no matter how much stuff you bought on their card.
   I can buy gas at a place that knocks off 3 cents a gallon if you pay cash and a lot of the businesses charge you less if you use cash or a debit card. I know for a fact that the business get charged for accepting credit cards and a lot of places don't accept credit cards for that fact. It's a scam to make them money, not save you any. Jim  PS. Tony ( the Discover Rep in AZ) said he wished he could get 3 cents a gallon off by paying cash. He told me this as he was cancelling my Credit Card.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

JPotter57

For that reason, I am cutting up all of my credit cards except my corporate card and my paypal account....and it may be next.  Hope to get them all paid off in a couple of months...  credit cards bad..cash, not so bad.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Zapato

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2011-06-19 21:47
credit cards bad..cash, not so bad.

Bartering and trading even better.

zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

JPotter57

Now I can get into some of that bartering stuff....too bad everyone around me are bowtie freaks....My one Ford buddy is laughing at me for going with a Y, so for this reason alone, at some point,  I plan to blow away his small block powered Cyclone, if I have to spray or turbocharge.  The Y can make the power, I am sure..Man I wish I had 15K to send Eaton for one of those 500 hp Y strokers, lol....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Frankenstein57

On the subject of buying gas with a credit or debit card, make sure when you are all done and you take your receipt, you push the clear key on the keypad. A dishonest employee can fill his tank on your card info, after you are gone.  Mark

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: Zapato on 2011-06-21 10:44
Bartering and trading even better.

zap- :unitedstates:

Yes!!!!!!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com