News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Are there any solvent resistant paints?

Started by RICH MUISE, 2011-08-10 23:26

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I'm getting ready to run into the same problem I had back a few years ago when I started working on my interior.I have a number of interior pieces I want to cover in vinyl..specifically, at this time, the widow frames/garnish rails. The paint on them is reasonably solid, but there are some areas with light rust..particularly on the backside. On my first attempts to cover a few of these pieces, I sandblasted the parts and primered them. The problem is, when the strong glues are sprayed onto the 'fresh' non-baked paint or primers,the solvents in the glue eat right into the paints..of course not making a good bond. I don't want to leave these parts rusty and just cover them, so anybody have any suggestions for protecting them from rerusting after sandblasting that the glue solvents won't destroy.  Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

POR-15 should do it, front and back. look them up and call them to be sure that stuff dries tuff. if you do use it be sure and wear gloves. doesn't wash off.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Ford Blue blood

Rich use epoxy primer, will seal the part very well, will not be affected by the glue and is a b---ch to take off once cured.  Second alternative would be any eurathane (sp) primer, once cured they will stick real well to the metal and not be affected by the glue.  POP-15 is good but scuff it first to take the gloss off.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JPotter57

Third alternative would be to powdercoat it.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

RICH MUISE

James,Zap....por-15 is probably the toughest coating you can put on bare metal,but is also one of the hardest to get other coatings (glue included) to stick to it. Getting vinyl to cover something like a window frame takes alot of tugging and pulling and a very agressive adhesive to hold it where you want it.
Thought about the epoxy primer...will probably go that route after sandblasting...I had used the last of what I had and was trying to avoid the $45. a quart to test it for the glue problem...but that's probably the way to go. I'll test it when I can..right now I'm trying to stretch my pocket money to next retirement check!!lol  thanks guys
If this doesn't work I may just start over on the garnish rails and windshield inside trim pieces and go the suede finish paint.
Rich

burns

what about having them zinc plated ? very affordable process and will stop the rusting.

RICH MUISE

I may just check into that..thanks for the idea. Rich