News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Heating Problem

Started by mort1928, 2011-09-19 16:40

Previous topic - Next topic

mort1928

Hi everyone, I did a search under heating problem and came up with 7 or 8 hits but no actual answer.
Car will run normal temperature under any condition except stop and go traffic, then it gets up to 210+( Does not boil over )
It gets hot enough that it will not idle.
It has 160 thermostat, new hoses,new waterpump,new radiator, 292 with 3000 miles on rebuild, auto transmission,
It cools down when traffic starts moving
Is this a fan ( not enough air movement ) problem or something else.
Any and all idea's are welcome.

Thanks for reading,
   Leon

shopratwoody

Sure sounds like lack of airflow...mine runs at 180 with stock style rad with no shroud and 4 blade fan.
And it's a 429.
I hate blocksanding!

Frankenstein57

What kind of climate are you driving in? 90's  I'm fitting mine for a shroud, I have a condenser mounted in front of the radiator, and when that thing is on, it's hot out. 210 isn't over the edge, alot of new cars are designed to run there. My stock gauge doesn't work very well, I should put a mechanical gauge in it.  Mark

geraldchainsaw

hi,  when i'm in a heavy stop and go cruise,  i have the same prloblem,   worried about it for years,  gave up,  theres no problems,  dosen't boil over,  check it with a candy temp gage,   put a in line gage from the termostate housing,  even had a electric fan on,  plus a shroud,    all that and it didn't change anything,  and it still runs fine,  don't worry about it,   if it ever does boil over then check into it,   just my experience and thoughts,   jerry

Ford Blue blood

What he said.....if it ain't losing water it ain't hot!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

mort1928

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I will try a fan with higher flow rate

Thanks
   Leon

Frankenstein57

Another thing, a 160 thermostat just means it opens sooner. When racing circle track we tried to slow the flow down, let the radiator do its job. I'd put a 180 or 190 in, won't cost much.  Mark

Zapato

Had a similar problem went to the u-pull-it and found a 7 blade clutching fan in a Jeep cherokee, problem gone. and yes 180 thermostat. both cheap fixes that worked well.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72