News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Ranchero spare wheel location?

Started by Limey57, 2011-09-03 03:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey57

Where's the best place?  I understand that the factory location was behind the seat, but on mine someone has cut the load deck in half and welded hinges onto the rear part to allow it to tip forward so the original spare wheel well can be used.  I don't like this because I can't see a way of sealing it to prevent water getting in (it rains a lot over here!) and also they've made a right mess of it!

I thought about making some sort of frame welded to the back of the cab to bolt the spare wheel to, or in the bed floor, but I'm not over happy with either.

Anyone else found a better solution?  My other option is to have no spare and just carry a 12V compressor & a can of tyre glue like a lot of cheaper new cars come with now.  Not much use if you have a blow-out on the freeway & the tire gets shredded though......
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Frankenstein57

I thought I'd carry a mini spare to save space. Maybe let it ride in the bed area. If it goes in the station wagon location, in the well above the gas tank, there's a couple dozen bolts to get it out. I saw a guy with a beautifull 59 ranchero at a show the past week, he had the bed insert on a hinge with hatch shocks installed.I bet you could install some rubber or foam strip along the seam. I think it is designed to drain water in stock form.  Mark