News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Possible Horn Wiring Solution

Started by TexasFordGuy, 2011-10-26 13:37

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasFordGuy

I have been looking for a good Horn wiring solution that would allow stock '57 column retention, when using an after market steering like Rack and Pinion, where the horn wire can not come out of the bottom of the box. I also did not want to swap out the column with an after-market or 58 plus column.

Plan A
I found an expensive kit that the guys with 53-56 F100 use that has a contact brush system that relocates where the wire exits the column, but it is pretty pricey at Mid-Fifty.  

Plan B
So I started looking for a DYI solution.  This lead me to what some of the Jaguar guys are doing, building a brush system out of an electric motor brushes. This would work but there are not any really good pre-made brush and holder systems I could find, so I would have to make my own like they do.

Plan C ( this may actually work!)
I was researching parts for my Jeep and came across a ready to go solution for 9 to 13 bucks. The Willys CJ2a and MB use a brush and bushing system from 1942 through 1949 that replacement parts are readily available at many of the after-market part dealers.

Below  are some picture of what I am think .
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100

Alex L.

I like it, what diameter is the jeep column?

TexasFordGuy

I am not sure of the size of the Jeep column as I have a CJ7 not an CJ2a. I did order the part and will mock it up, when it gets here, on an extra column that I have from a 55 car.
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100

Alex L.

cool, that would be awesome if it worked. I'm going to need such a solution this winter when i install my R&P system.

TexasFordGuy

I received the contact piece and it is a perfect fit.  The curvature is an exact fit.  I am going to order the piece that fits on the shaft next. If that works I will use it, however if it dosen't, it is not hard to make it out of copper pipe and shrink tubing.
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100

Alex L.

I love it, I'm going to give it a try too.

Thanks

suede57ford

On my 57 t-bird with rack and pinion, I took a steering wheel adapter kit for the local parts store for a gm.   I took the spring loaded stem contact that is designed to brush on the underside of the gm wheel and glues it with 3m/duramix 4747 super fast glue to a nickel sized circle of tin with.  That allowed me to make a pedestal that screws to the turn singnal base while the spring loaded contact points towards the wheel.   Very simple in a photo graph.   I made a 3" circulr disc of copper that fit in side the back of the wheel and glued it in.  Now the spring loade dcontact had a coper ring to rub against, just like a gm.   I finihised with a '59 spring loaded contact brush and repo '59 ford parts in the back of the stock t-bird horn ring.   It works very good and is actually very simple. Sorry I can't post pictures.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Alex L.

So the contact ring needs to be isolated from the steering shaft?

TexasFordGuy

Yes, the Willis one has an insulator. You can make one with large shirk tubing and a copper sleeve/pipe
1957 Club Victoria (63B)
1955 F100