News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

how does a 57 ford horn work?

Started by wilnutt, 2012-04-26 18:59

Previous topic - Next topic

wilnutt

I have a 57 fairlane (There's a universal wiring harness installed). I've used a voltage tester on the relay and the only thing that's not working is the horn switch itself. I've even taken the steering wheel off, and I can't find where the switch is to the steering wheel. I assume it's the button in the center, but where can i get into the wiring for it? Very curious how the stock set up is, I'm hoping i can retain the horn ring and not have to use an auxiliary horn button. :-/

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

wilnutt

I'm also curious about how the ground system is for the switch. I think I remember someone writing about the horn ring "contact", does that mean that the system is grounded from the horn ring touching the contact plater or....?

I ask this because i'm not sure if it's a power problem or a ground problem from the relay to the switch. All the wiring "That I can physically see" looks fine.

Ford Blue blood

Yup, ground is applied at the horn ring, the relay enegizes and the horn blows.  The wire goes down through the steering shaft, comes out at the bottom, the end of the steering box, into the harness to the relay.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

wilnutt

ok awesome. i' not sure how this guy had it rigged before, but it was working? I'm on to fix it right now.

Thank you,
   William

wilnutt

Thanks so much. I went out and looked at the wiring. It was just a grounding issue. Fixed now. EXCELLENT!!!!