News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Transmission

Started by sprink88, 2012-04-29 09:00

Previous topic - Next topic

sprink88

I am so close to letting the tires hit the road for the first time in years. Now I just noticed that when in park, my tires spin freely. EEK! I assume it would be the parking pawl pin. Anyone now where I can get one? Or how easy it is to change? or would it be easier to get a new trans? I have a line on one that is used, not rebuilt, but labeled good for $200.
~Chris

Ford Blue blood

Are you still in the air?  If so this would be normal as the differential is "open" (non posi).  If in the air yet try to spin the drive shaft by hand with it in park.  Lastly check your linkage to see if it is allowing the shift lever to move all the way into the "park" position.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

sprink88

Yes, the car is in the air. And I took off the linkage to try to see if the lever moves more. But it doesn't. Driveshaft moves. And you are saying it should? At least until I am on the ground? Because the other trans I am looking at, in park, sitting on the shelf the yoke does not move.
~Chris

Ford Blue blood

Nope, should NOT move in park.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

sprink88

right, and it does. I think I will just go with this other trans, maybe sell mine then. How much are they worth when they need a rebuild?
~Chris

glen b henderson

You did not say, but assuming you still have the FOM. Common problem was a broken parking pawl, easy to break if it is put in park while the car is still moving. My advice is too replace it if the trans is working fine otherwise. I am sure myself or someone else on here could come up with the parts. I have heard that it can be replaced without removing the trans, but in my opinion it would be a real PITA.
Freedom is not Free

sprink88

Yes. I still have the Trans. I have been looking online but I can't seem to find a pin. Still looking but I am also considering the  pain of doing it myself. I can work on a motor, but the Trans I no nothing of.
~Chris