News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Wipers

Started by Ford Blue blood, 2012-05-13 15:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Ford Blue blood

After getting the stock wiper motor on the wagon running I was not very satisfied with it's performance.  Started looking for an alternative.  The cables and pulleys are in great shape, everything worked as it should, just the vacumn motor sucked (no pun intended).  In my box of "stuff" I had a 60 full size Ford wiper motor.  It looked like a perfect fit.  The thing did the back and forth, the mounting holes were the exact same spacing, just needed a little spacing from the mount to bolt up.

I used a section of 1/4" tubing to fill the hole in the 60 mount, it takes a 1/4" bolt in the 60 car, so the #10 or 12 (not sure which) screw would fit nice and snug, made a 1/4" spacer to space the whole assembly out properly.  The stock wiper control cable needs the shield shortened about 1/3" and route it out a hole toward the passenger side of the wiper motor.  The wagon has a manual choke so I used the same hole as the choke cable.  A single 12V fused power wire is the only other thing needed.  They work great, have two speeds and it self parks.

The $60 motor is a darn sight better then the Tri-five or the aftermarket $190 setup out there!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

sprink88

are you talking a 1960 full size Ford motor?
~Chris

mtwilsonboy

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2012-05-13 15:25
After getting the stock wiper motor on the wagon running I was not very satisfied with it's performance.  Started looking for an alternative.  The cables and pulleys are in great shape, everything worked as it should, just the vacumn motor sucked (no pun intended).  In my box of "stuff" I had a 60 full size Ford wiper motor.  It looked like a perfect fit.  The thing did the back and forth, the mounting holes were the exact same spacing, just needed a little spacing from the mount to bolt up.

I used a section of 1/4" tubing to fill the hole in the 60 mount, it takes a 1/4" bolt in the 60 car, so the #10 or 12 (not sure which) screw would fit nice and snug, made a 1/4" spacer to space the whole assembly out properly.  The stock wiper control cable needs the shield shortened about 1/3" and route it out a hole toward the passenger side of the wiper motor.  The wagon has a manual choke so I used the same hole as the choke cable.  A single 12V fused power wire is the only other thing needed.  They work great, have two speeds and it self parks.

The $60 motor is a darn sight better then the Tri-five or the aftermarket $190 setup out there!

Did you use the stock cable set up with the 1960 motor?

Ford Blue blood

Yes it is a full sized 60 Ford. 

The stock 57 wiper cable was used.  Had to trim just under 1/2 inch off the cable housing to get it to lay correctly in the "capture" fitting on the motor.  The actual cable is stock length, is flexible enough to be run back toward the center of the car, out the hole the choke cable is in and up to the motor.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II